XP Question, Everyone Step In Please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have a question, that I don't need an answer for so much as I need to know how YOU would go about doing it.

Lets say, I am using XP, any flavor.

I decide I want to change my username to something else, for security reasons, i.e., someone learned of it. I want to change my username so that when I log in, I have to type this new username.

How would YOU go about doing it?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Local accounts, xflat.

There are no network components involved with my question.

3. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

well i just looked at mine and you can just change it through control panel user accounts

im the only administrator so shouldnt be a problem

or were you looking for something more technical :D

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nope, just your opinion on how it is to be done.

5. General_Lee_Stoned

want to let us know why ;)

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

create a new account, copy profile, delete old profile.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just a couple more responses, LOL.

8. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

To simply change the password, I'd just change that in the account, but to do a complete new username, same as xflat, making sure everything worked in the new account before blowing away the old one.

9. General_Lee_Stoned

ok theres more to this because all users on a local machine show the username already you just need to change the password
    you dont have to type the username

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, I want to let you guys know what I found out.

Changing your user account name via Control Panel->User Accounts does NOTHING, but cosmetic changes.

You can stil log in with your new username, AND old one.

GLS: Hit ctrl-alt-del twice, and log in with your old username.

Besides the making a new account, etc. stuff, you can truly change the user account from start, run, control userpasswords2.

Maybe I am the only fool out there that didn't know this. In XP Pro it is quite evident your account doesn't change, because you can look under Computer Management and see it yourself.

The people with XP Home get shafted again, as it is not obvious at all.

So when you change your user account name via Control Panel, you are hurting security by allowing not only the old username, but you are also adding two possiblities to get into your account.

I haven't tested this yet, but I can almost bet that this little "feature" effects network access into your machine as well.

Typical MS. This is so typical of them, just like the "uninstall" feature of Messenger, and OE, which does nothing but remove shortcuts.

Bastards.

11. General_Lee_Stoned

LOL :D

ok now i see where your coming from thought you were trying to trick us ;)

well i guess if that was me i just got screwed :(

new i should have gone for a more technical answer

12. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

"Trustworthy Computing" :rolleyes:

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

ROFL...;) :eek:

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Indeed :rolleyes:

Xflat, let me know what you find.

I tested this on XP Home SP1, XP Pro SP1, and XP Pro SP2 beta.

I'll be testing it in XP MCE and XP Tablet too, once I get them installed.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What value under LSA are you talking about?

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you are talking about what I think you are xflat, I don't think that has anything to do with local access, or the user accounts "feature" I mentioned.

Correct me if I am wrong.

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

More information. If you go to computer management in Pro, you can see exactly what MS does.

Changing your profile name in user accounts in control panel effectively adds a second username and never removes the old one.

The reason is, MS only adds/changes the value for full name. It never changes the value for name.

When you add/change the full name value, you give your account a second username to log in with.

And User Accounts in Control Panel never changes the original.

Talk about crap huh...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds