Xp Randomly Plays Exclamation.wav

Discussion in 'Software' started by farjim, Jul 20, 2007.

1. farjim

farjim Private E-2

hey dudes
    i've had this problem for quite a while now and have spent the last two weeks trying to get to the bottom of it but have come up with nothing!!

problem:
    every now and then windows (xp) plays the "exlcamation.wav" sound for no apparent reason, the computer could be idle or during a game or whatever and the DING sound comes on.

i've scanned my system with norton and and adaware and have run regmechanic and nothing seems to work

today i downloaded file monitor [file mon] and have concluded that the process responsible for calling the sound is:

winlogon.exe

which appears to be legitimate but have come up with no explanation as to why it is playing the sound,
    it happens quite randomly, there could be 20 mins or 2 hrs between occourances and it BUGGING THE HELL OUTTA ME!!!!

other things i've tried have been to enable/disable: nortons automatic live update, firewalls, windows update. but none seem to make a difference.

i saw an earlier thread with the exact same problem but it was closed and had no resolution!!

any help or suggestions or experience with this problem would be GREATLY appreciated!! thanks for listneing, jim!

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Try to disable sounds in Control Panel>sounds and audio devices>soundsand find exclamation,and set to none.

3. farjim

farjim Private E-2

thanks goran
    yeah i'd considered just disabling the sound but that that dosnt explain the cause, at the moment i'm trying out different configurations of startup programs in msconfig as well as uninstalling some progs etc, i may eventually reinstall windows to see if that fixes it. if i do get it fixed i'll post back. i think i must be the only person in the world with this prob!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds