XP Re-install Question RE: Program Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by kdum8, Oct 24, 2004.

1. kdum8

kdum8 Private E-2

My internal HDD is partitioned in two sections labelled C: and D:.
    I am about to re-install Windows XP onto the C: Drive, however, some of my programs have been installed onto the D: drive. My question is when XP is re-installed will these programs also have to be re-installed even though they are located on an effectively separate drive? (perhaps due to the registry?)

thanks,

Alex. ;)

2. Gladiator

Gladiator Private E-2

Every program needs to be in Program Files

3. kdum8

kdum8 Private E-2

Can I not have 2 program files folders, one on C: and one on D:? Currently I have a few programs installed onto my D drive and they run fine. They are peer2peer programs that I wish to keep off the operating system drive.

4. celebration.of.being

celebration.of.being Private First Class

U sure can have two folders on two drives and obviously u must be knowing this by ur experience 'coz ur programs have been running fine. If u boot ur system with a bootable cd and then partition it again n intall xp then all ur data..on either drive will b gone. But if u start ur system with hard disk as ur booting device then run the installer cd of XP(n select the upgrade or repair option)then previous settings n programs will not get washed away.Thats all i know..Take care n bye.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Wrong... you can if the programs installer allows you to custom install, install software on any drive or partition, I install my security software ( Firewall, AV etc etc ) on a different drive.

As to the re-install of the other apps once the OS is re-installed , then yes its wise to re-install them again as you mentioned the registry is on the newly installed C: and while some programs are stand alone and dont need to have ties to the registry some DO!

6. celebration.of.being

celebration.of.being Private First Class

not dis is obvious..if u dont get a option to choose the installation directory..then u got to go by whats decided inherently by application.. :cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds