XP reload on a Compaq

Discussion in 'Software' started by tjet, Feb 24, 2005.

1. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

I have a Compaq 8000 / X86 mobo with a P4, 40GB HD and 512MB RAM
    The user wants me to reload his XP for him after 3yrs use.
    The machine was shipped with a recovery partition on the HD and no XP disc but does have the factory Key sticker on it.
    I have no experience with recovery partitions, and was wondering if I could use my XP recovery disk that I got with a LAN-Plus Northgate and his key?
    If not, could someone provide instructions for using the recovery partition?

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

Press F10 when you see this BIOS screen flash and it will restore the drive from the partition. Just follow the on screen instructions as it will guide you thru setup.

Also, this may be of some assistance, information on Compaq Recovery and QuickRestore CD's...

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I would not recommend this because, your disk is for LAN-Plus Northgate only, doing this would create a few problems on the Compaq machine. If the partition is fine and can be accessed with no complications, then reinstall this way. However if the partition is corrupt as I have seen this many times, then you will need a Windows XP Home Upgrade or Windows XP Home OEM to reinstall. Or you can contact Compaq and try to get them to send you one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds