XP restarting randomly

Discussion in 'Software' started by syco, May 5, 2009.

1. syco

syco Private E-2

I have a home build that has started randomly rebooting. Often when playing games like FarCry2 but sometimes doing nothing at all.

XP Pro SP3,
    2gb Corsair Ram,
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-Ds3L
    Q6600
    HD4850
    2X 500Gb drives.

It's been doing it for a few weeks but now chkdsk is constantly running at every boot now. Here are the last 4 entries from the event viewer and the report Windows wanted to send.

I'd like to solve the underlying reboot problem as well as the chkdsk annoyance. Any help is appreciated.

Code:
    Report to be sent
    BCCode : 1000008e     BCP1 : C0000005     BCP2 : 8054B10D     BCP3 : A92AE83C
    BCP4 : 00000000     OSVer : 5_1_2600     SP : 3_0     Product : 256_1 

Last 4 system errors in event viewer.
    Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8054b10d, parameter3 a92ae83c, 

parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 8054b10d, parameter3 a9d9c7a4, 

parameter4 00000000.

Error code 0000004e, parameter1 00000002, parameter2 000187d8, parameter3 0007fedf, 

parameter4 00000001.

Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf287cd4, parameter3 a9381b5c, 

parameter4 a9381858.

2. syco

syco Private E-2

Guess I can't edit my post?

I ran CHKNTFS /D and the chkdsk issue is resolved. This just leaves the random rebooting.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The random reboots may be due to an overheating problem either with the video card or CPU. Run HWmonitor in the background whilst computing and see how your temps and voltages look. If you're unsure as to what's considered too high, post a screenshot or the results and we'll try to advise. Faulty RAM and a flakey hard drive can also be the cause of random reboots, and since you recently had a CHKDSK issue, the flakey hard drive becomes more of a possibility. You can download a free diagnostic from your hard drive maker's web site; do so and and run it as per their instructions.
    Keep us posted!
    :-D

4. syco

syco Private E-2

Thanks fr the reply.

I've attached the Screen shot from HWMonitor. I've no idea if it too hot. I did get a massive RCX-Z4 fan on the chip and think I was careful about using the correct amount of Arctic paste.

I'll get the disk checking software. The disk is pretty new but the data is backed up so for once it wont be a major headache!!

How about the RAM, how would I check that to see if it's causing the problem?

Attached Files:

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:eek ARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your video card is W A Y - T O O - H O T ! ! ! !

If the card is idling at 81c, you have a SERIOUS temperature problem! You need to increase the fan speed if possible. I think Riva Tuner works with ATI video cards (I've only used it with NVidia cards), if not, either ATI Tool or ATI Tray Tools should allow you to increase the fan speed manually. You can run GPU-Z to see where the fan speed is at currently (click the 'Sensors' tab). You'll see a percentage number; if it's at 30%, go to 60%; if it's at 40%, go to 70%.... you get the idea. The programs I linked to are fairly self-explanatory and easy to use, but if you run into problems or get confused, there's a ton of guides online for RivaTuner, and the ATI apps have good info at the developer pages.... let us know how it goes!

EDIT- the developer page for ATI Tray Tools is in Russian, more info can be found here, but no how-to; try Googling it. The developr link for ATI Tool here at Major Geeks is dead; it links to a lame advertising page; the new ATI Tool homepage can be found here.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. syco

syco Private E-2

Oops.. :-o

So using ATI Tray Tools the fan was is now at 70% and the GPU temp is now a balmy 47. It that more like it?

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Anything above 70 in a desktop should be ringing alarm bells like crazy. Laptops, however are a whole 'nuther story.

Anything below 50 at idle is bang on the money for your card. Make sure you keep it below 70, even in games, because the chip is probably rated to operate up to around 2 before it starts suffering damage.

Now you have a temporary solution, it may be worth looking at the underlying cause(s) of this heat wave. How much space do you have around the card for airflow, how many case fans do you have, what size are they, and what kind of case do you have?

8. syco

syco Private E-2

The case is an old one I had. I didn't like the amount of holes on the back so had the side off as a 'temporary' solution. I thought it might be affecting the routing of the cooling airflow and now it would seem it is a lot.

What with REI issuing 2x20% off coupons this month the budget is pretty taxed for a little while. Any recommendations on a cheap case that would do the job?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds