XP Restore CD Wont Work?

Discussion in 'Software' started by whitelines, Sep 10, 2008.

1. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

I think this is where I'm supposed to post this. If not, I'm sorry! Anyway, I need to do a system restore on my laptop, to see if it fixes a problem. I put in the CD, (I have windows XP, and it's the "special" CD my HP comp came with.) and it took me the screen, and I decided to try to "repair" it first, just in case that would work. It didn't. Now, when I go to try it again...it doesn't take me the screen, it just boots windows and then pops up the window to install XP. Is there anyway to manually get it to that black screen, so I can do a restore? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just running out of ideas.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

In your Start menu under All Programs, click the Accessories folder, then the System Tools folder and you will find System Restore. If you mean repair install, your disc may not allow it. Some manufacturer's "restore" discs will only do clean installs, literally "restoring" it to the exact same condition you purchased it.

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Hey Just Playin, question, can they boot from dos load the cd, run the repair program directly from the cd

4. whitelines

whitelines Private E-2

Well, we've done a full system restore with that CD before. Where we had to reformat the harddrive, and whatnot. It's just not taking me to that black screen, with the white text, so I can even have the option to do that. Is there a way to do what buggabear said?

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

As each manufacturer builds the restore disk differently, accessing the 'low level' screens is sometimes not available. If you are lucky.... you may be able to access the screen you want by tapping the F8 key while booting from the CD. This is the 'normal' way to access Safe Mode, Restore, Repair etc. when booting from the Hard Drive. Try it -- it might work, but, most likely, this will not be available on the Restore CD's boot sector. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds