XP service pack two installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by tullesofthetrade, Mar 21, 2010.

1. tullesofthetrade

tullesofthetrade Private E-2

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows XP Professional which includes SP2 on a new Western Digital SATA (WD3200AAKS) drive. My mother board is a ECS 848P-A.

It gets to the pointe where the computer reboots the Windows XP loading screen comes up and starts, then it hangs.

I've tried to load this seven ways to Sunday. I've forced HALs. I've formatted the drive using all ways possible. I'm at my wits end.

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Is it an OEM version? If so you can expect this sort of thing, as they are tied to the hardware they were created for.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Do...848P-A (V1.0)&CategoryID=1&MenuID=82&LanID=0

The download page for your mobo lists SATA RAID drivers. These may need to be put on a floppy disk, and loaded at setup by pressing F6 when prompted at the bottom of the screen. Just a thought - it does sort of sound like setup is detecting your drive? Is that right?

I've also seen symptoms like this when the CMOS battery is dying, but I'd check the above first.

(Also - I've used OEM Install discs on various hardware without any issue, so long as the product key is unique. It's the license you pay for, not the install media)

4. tullesofthetrade

tullesofthetrade Private E-2

I've spent days researching the problem and came up with the same conclusion.

Unfortunately the download is not a driver but a program. For me to be able to extract the drivers from the program would take a miracle. I'm computer literate, but not on that level. I think it is wrong of Intel to make it so difficult.

I just bit the bullet and got a new motherboard and processor. The time I've wasted on this (and would waste trying to get the drivers out) far out weighs the cost of a new board.

The thing that is making me nuts is that I had XP loaded on this motherboard with the same type of drive before. Don't know why it wouldn't work this time around.

Thanks for your help though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds