XP Setup Deployment

Discussion in 'Software' started by foogoo, Feb 11, 2005.

1. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

One task at my job is setting up XP Home OEM with various accounts & software.
    What I want to do is set up one complete and copy that drive to any PC.
    Problem is with XP activation. When I copy the system over would I just change the key or have to reactivate? Would this require deleting the wpa and activating the new key?
    FYI- These all have the same hardware - just different com ports for the modems.
    I tried using an unactivated XP, copy to the new system, change the key & activate - but after 30days the unactivated one is done. (I dont want to do this every 30 days either).

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

One way to get past using sysprep in XP is running a program called newsid.

http://www.systernals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml

This is a nice program that keeps you from having to run sysprep and then a minisetup or unattended install of the imaged machines.

Once you image the machine and boot it up you go to the run box and type in: c:\newsid.exe /a 'computername'

This program then runs changing the SID and computer name, when used with the /a switch. and reboots right as rain. We use it here at my company and have had no problems with it.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I can't help but think that it won't get past the issue of activation, however, which was his concern.

Sysinternals doesn't mention anything about that, either?

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Its not volume license.. ( I dont understand why it is not, it was not my decision) they all have an individual key on their stickers. So it is not about deploying just XP - but my specific setup with other software & accounts.
    These PCs are also serviced outside of my office (the main on the contract bought them, I just add to them) so actually they have XP loaded.. I just want to avoid have to load software & setup accounts of 100's of PCs.

I was hoping to drop an image, swap keys for the one that is supposed to be there and go... but need the actual steps or more know how on activation.
    I am not getting by activation or anything illegal, just wanting to shortcut other things.
    READ the original post - these are activated.. no need for MS antipiracy sites

7. be0

be0 Corporal

my buddy works for a company and does this on a daily basis, If you do not resolve your problem send him an email and tell him be0 gave you his email address:
    grobar@gmail.com

ummm this may be dumb but il throw it in anyway:
    also there is a software tool that allows you to just change the CD key of xp

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds