XP Shutdown Update Will Not Go Away - Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ron AKA, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Private E-2

I have been having a problem with my XP Home, in that on shutdown it shows there is an update to install, and gives the warning not to shut it down, and it will shutdown automatically when done. It does show it is installing an update, and then shuts down. However, after the next restart the update icon is there again at shutdown. I did a manual update and then installed SP-3. Everything looked fine, until after the next restart. Update icon back again.

I am having two other problems which may be related. With McAfee I am unable to update to the latest data files. The auto update does not work, and the manual update shows it worked, but when you check the status it has failed. I've tried re-installing and it all works fine except I cannot update to the current dat files. I then installed AVG because I could not depend on McAfee, and I was convinced I had a virus. It works fine, and I can manually update it. However, after the next shutdown and startup the auto update feature of AVG is disabled and there is no way to turn it on again. A manual update fixes it until the next shutdown.

I discovered something new today. If on shutdown I choose the option to shutdown without installing the Windows XP update, then on the next restart AVG is ok.

I also discovered which update is not installing. It is:

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

This seems like a virus or something, but I went through the whole malware process recommended here, and the moderator there referred me to this forum, after nothing was found. Any help you can provide is much appreciated. This is looking like a two day complete re-install of XP and my software:(.

Ron

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I had a similar problem with the .NET Framework 2.0. Although it was not installed on the system, Windows insisted that I needed the update for it. My guess is the error was due to a registry entry, as the .net framework had been installed previously, or the files the previous installation left behind in the Windows folder. To fix I installed the .NET 2.0 (after a registry clean and deleting all references to .net in the Windows Folder on c ). I then installed the update for it that Windows/Microsoft Update was insisting I required. If you don't use CCleaner you might want to, and clean up all registry errors it finds. I also used more advanced registry cleaners but backed up what registry entries I deleted with them, I have never had a problem with CCleaner deleting a registry entry. It has been a while since doing this so see if there are any other replies, usually use Linux now, but dual boot with XP to cover my bases

3. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

4. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Private E-2

Thanks guys for the help. Interestingly that update posted by iwunderdownunder seems to have solved the problem. While this appears to have a different update number, it seems to have resulted in the KB936181 item to be finally installed. Not sure how that worked, but if this fix stays, I will be very happy. So far so good... The next test will be to try and reinstal my McAfee.

On the CCleaner, I'm quite sure I ran it early on, as I also suspected a registry issue.

Ron

5. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

glad to see that helped you to solve this issue ron aka when it comes to Microsoft updates sometimes some people have this type of issue while others don't so they release a fix to solve the problem i myself have had similar problems in the past

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds