XP-SP2 activation - no window displayed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gswiss, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Gswiss

Gswiss Private E-2

I am unable to obtain the display of the activation window when I type oobe/msoobe /a or go through Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Activation. There is no rebuttal. The request is processed but nothing happens.

I reinstalled XP from scratch and used the previous WPA which I had saved previously. The WPA files were copy-pasted under Safe Mode.

Bottom line : I don't know whether I am considered as activated or not.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If you're not activated, you should be getting periodic warnings in a balloon that pops up from the clock area (lower right corner). You can always try to do Windows Updates. I think that Windows Updates only work if you're activated. If not activated, you'll probably be prompted to activate and guided thru the process online.... let us know how this goes. I'm interested to see if updates are available on non activated PC's.... A couple of years ago, you could do the updates, wait 29 days, download and update to SP2 and it would give you another 30 days. Then on 29 (2nd time), you could again do the updates and buy another 30days without activating. So, you could get about 88 or 89 days before having to activate. Not like activation is a big deal, but what the hell, it was fun seeing how long I could push it. By the way- backing up the wpa file has NEVER worked for me for reactivation after a re-install. Maybe I did something wrong, but I've tried it at least 5 times with no luck.

hopperdave2000

Keep us posted ;)

3. Gswiss

Gswiss Private E-2

I'll give updates a try. There is no balloon tip anyhow because I blocked them through SafeXP or XP-AntiSpy.

The WPA trick should work if you apply it under Safe Mode. Maybe in your case you changed a piece of hardware when you reinstalled.

What is odd in my case is that I get no error message nor hang-up whenever I launch the oobe program.

I won't have access to that pc before the end of this week. Anyhow I'll keep you posted.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you are using the same computer and same licence without changing your hardware you can backup your Windows Activation state.

Before formatting copy the following files to a safe place that will still be available after wiping your hard drive such as a USB Flash Drive or a Floppy Disk.

Quote:

%SYSTEM32%\wpa.dbl
    %SYSTEM32%\wpa.bak <-- This one may not be present

Once you have formatted and reinstalled window you will need to reboot into safe mode by restarting your computer and pressing F8 until the boot menu appears and selecting Safe Mode

Once in safe mode rename the exisiting files (if present) to:

Quote:

%SYSTEM32%\wpa.dbl.old
    %SYSTEM32%\wpa.bak.old

Then copy the 2 files from your 'safe place' into the system32 folder.

Now when you reboot into Normal mode your windows will be activated.

Preserving OEM Pre-activation when re-installing xp:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/oempreac.mspx

5. Gswiss

Gswiss Private E-2

I couldn't work on this item after all because I couldn't get into Safe Mode for some odd reason (probably InCD).

I'll report back around mid-January. Anyhow, we'll know by then if the pc is activated or not!

6. Gswiss

Gswiss Private E-2

I got involved in other problems with this pc and I had to reinstall XP for other reasons. Anyhow, the Activation seems to have been ok but I still do not know why oobe does not excute to provide me with the Activation status.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds