xp sp2/no safe mode option/cannot delete iertutil.dll

Discussion in 'Software' started by lotus459, Dec 16, 2006.

1. lotus459

lotus459 Private E-2

Hi

I installed then uninstalled IE7. This deleted system32 iertutil.dll file. Screen would only get as far as wallpaper. I managed to download a copy (.zip file which I extracted then copied to CD) but there was a message that some information would not move across. Nevertheless I copied the file from the CD into system32. The Windows start screen does now open, but I get the message "The ordinal 56 could not be located in the dynamic link library in iertutil.dll". I thought I would try copying the .zip file and doing the extraction directly on the problem computer but I cannot overwrite or delete the existing iertutil.dll file. I get the message "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. Cannot create c:\windows\system32\iertutil.dll". Via Taskmanager I closed explorer.exe, but it made no difference.

I cannot open my computer in safe mode, it just ignores F8. I cannot get online, my AVG antivirus software won't start, I cannot reinstall XP from a CD,I cannot access System Restore and I have no idea what other stuff won't work.

Help

Lotus 459

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sounds to me like you have the wrong version of the file. Really, you are going to need to get to either Safe Mode, or more likely, Recovery Console.

So a couple questions first.

1. Do you have an F-Lock key that isnt enabled, explaining the F8 problem?
    2. Why are you not able to reinstall from CD? (Not that I want you to).

3. lotus459

lotus459 Private E-2

Hi Adrynalyne
    Thanks for your posting.F-Lock key is new to me - please explain.
    As to reinstalling from CD - I have one available and set the system to boot from the CD drive but it took no notice - I probably missed a step.
    Lotus459

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Look on your keyboard for something called F-Lock. It has to be on to use the function keys--provided your keyboard has one.

As for booting to CD, go into the boot order in your bios, and remove all options to boot to anything BUT CD. See if it forces a CD boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds