XP-SP3 I Need to reset XP background services to default

Discussion in 'Software' started by mopepom, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mopepom

mopepom Private E-2

I have just gone through the procedure to update a computer with very limited hard drive space from SP2 to SP3.

To "shoe horn" the 325MB file into this machine and install SP3, required me to trim all excess fat from the XP environment. This included getting rid of Many "un-needed" background services, like "Network Connections" and such.

Now I have a functional XP-SP3 machine, EXCEPT I can't get it to use the Internet. I get an error on ipconfig /renew, which suggests that my background services are now not right.

Is there an easy way to reset all of my background services, or do I have to go through the services.msc procedure again?

2. Lockey

Lockey Private E-2

Make sure driver is working in device manager.

Visit and check over (maybe print out)
    www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

If that doesn't help, try the winsock fix (can fit on a floppy) incase something got corrupted.

Reinstall, look for newer version of nick driver.

3. Lockey

Lockey Private E-2

4. mopepom

mopepom Private E-2

Thanks Lockey.
    I used your lead. Specifically, services.msc to reset services to default values,
    with a reference to http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm for the default settings.

I tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, resulting in

"An error occurred while renewing interface MYNET the requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized."

On further investigation, I concluded that my winsock2 was corrupted.

The relevant URL is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

I used netsh winsock reset

and then re-booted.

Bingo, I was connected.

Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds