XP SP3 Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripseven, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

I have my computer set for automatic updates from Windows. Yesterday it wanted to install XP SP3. I have read and heard a lot of complaints/horror stories about SP3 and so stopped the install. What steps should I take before installing SP3 besides creating a restore point? Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance!

Bill

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

You should back up any personal information.

I work at a tech shop and have installed SP3 on many machines and have very rarely had problems. However, anytime you are updating windows and/or drivers you risk creating problems. Not updating windows is more dangerous, however, as it opens Windows to security vulnerabilities.

If you install SP3, you may also want to go to the Windows update site and make sure you have all the other updates installed.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Update your drivers and programs.

4. skeep

skeep Private E-2

I have the same question. Do you mind if I ask something related?... if I'm not suppose to let me know and I'll create a new thread.

Should I turn off firewall, active malware protection, and etc before proceeding with the sp3 install?

I'm going to have to look up how set a restore point.

thanks.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Don't turn off your firewall. But, you should disable your anti-virus software, then re-enable it once the update is finished. Here's an FAQ from Microsoft that states this:

Q. I want to install a new software program, but the installation process is telling me to turn off my antivirus software. Is that safe?
    A. Sometimes, when you install a new software program, you may need to turn off your antivirus software during installation. Be sure you turn your antivirus software back on again when you are finished.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As well as the great advice already given I will add, SP3 is also no different to other Service Packs and if your malware infected it wont install (it will rollback near end of install), to do a quick few scans to double check your PC first.

Some tips from the KB on Installing SP3 here

If you dont wish to install SP3 via the online route and as turning of AV is recomended you can do the alternative and download the full Network Install version of this (larger file and what generally comes on the CDs) and disconnect from net, turn off AV and install.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds