XP string

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toke, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Asrock K7VM2 Mobo
    AMD Athlon 2000+
    512 SDR
    2x60 Gig HD
    & all the other gubbins to make it work

I or M$ has put 2 XP pro on 1 HD, I cannot delete so am to install a 100Gig HD with another XP Pro then format the other 60 GIg. as it needs a good clean out. The one I want to boot to only does it when it feels like it getting as far as MS log on then freezes in ''Windows is starting up''

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=30
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

its the top one rdisk(0) that will not boot I have changed order but still the same result. Any ideas please.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

More string info

Hi again since I posted XP string Prob I have now discovered that the offensive copy of XP has placed itself in my slave HD (F) and the string for it is in master (C) so this is probably the reason why random boot. Whilst I am here I would like to format HD (F) as this drive was intended for storage only. I will backup all folders to CD. I have a instalation XP disc and am somewhat sceptical if I get the correct XP HD (F) to be formatted seeing as a repair went so horribly wrong. The drives are not partioned. Will I be prompted to format a paticular drive, I ask this now as I tried once on a reinstall hoping I could stop the process once the HD had been formatted and ended up with yet another string command for instalation, this I have deleted. Will I need the 6 bootup floppy disks as I tried to DL from M$ and the automatic ''Insert next disc'' prompt is not functioning and ''this disc is too small try a higher capacity'' posting keeps coming up. I hope this makes sense... :))

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003
  3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

PPS

Since I last posted took sum advice off a m8 last night and formatted the offensive XP using Dos. and all ok for now, sorry to have bothered you but hope this will be of some help to others. I used the Dos windows that is available in XP to format my drive ''F'' This I did from drive ''C''/ I moved all data to C before hand and then when I had a clean F drive moved data back and now I have just the one XP on drive C. Then I had to delete the extra string (for the drive ''F'') which was in ''C'' drive settings and to date all is well as i can now boot without complication although I still have a Default Windows tag in the start up, but I'm working on that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds