XP user accounts problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by cowbagger, Nov 26, 2006.

1. cowbagger

cowbagger Private E-2

I have Win XP sp2 on a home wireless network, and have recently had malware issues, solved by chaslang under the thread "at the end of my tether". My computer is now free of malware. We all use Mozilla Firefox, not internet Explorer, and have done for some years.

However there is a long-standing error on the User Accounts part of the computer, which predates by many years the malware issues I had. We have 4 named users on the computer, 3 of which are administrators and one, my daughter, is a user only.

The error I have means that I can't adjust settings for any of the users. I cannot see my daughter's account when in safe mode. I cannot create or change any user accounts.

My daughter was set up as a user not administrator. I suspect my son tried to upgrade her without success. Symptoms are that when she logs on you get an error message ; "Error. Access is denied OK" you get this 10 times each time she logs on, and just click OK. She can access internet and most other stuff she needs but Sims2 needs to be administrator I think so she logs on as her bro or me to play this. (! Yes, I know.......)

When logged on as me, (adminstrator) If i go to user accounts via Control Panel, I get:
    "Internet Explorer Script Error:
    Line: 76
    Char: 13
    error: Expected ','
    Code: 0
    URL: res://c:\Windows\system 32\nusmgrcpl/nusrmgr.hta
    Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? I click Yes
    A mini-window appears - User Accounts: object expected. i click OK and then just get an empty User accounts window. If I click the back or forwards arrows I get another small error window:
    g-Navigator is undefined.

And I cannot proceed at all on user accounts so cant create a new one for her or change/delete the damaged one.

I'm out of my comfort and ability zone on this one and my local IT helper cannot advise. I have a system CD - still sealed in its cellophane and has a green cover: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002 and on the CD itself it says "MESH computer Recovery CD-ROM - do not open or attempt to use this CD without the specific instruction to do so from MESH tech support dept."

Is this the CD that may contain some repair/reinstallation that could cure this issue? The computer is pretty old and not under warranty, so I'd rather try and sort this without contacting MESH, (which presumbaly would involve expensive phone calls) The only other system type CD I have is the Microsoft Office XP Small Business, complete with Product key (I dont see a key for the Mesh CD - will that be a problem?). I'm not sure what the MESH CD contains - but once I've opened it is the repair part of the CD able to help me sort out the user accounts issues I have?

Any suggestions on how to repair the user accounts would be very welcome. Would there be some sort of fix available online perhaps from Microsoft? I have looked on the the microsoft website but I dont understand it and would really appreciate some sound advice from you guys.

BTW the reason I want to sort this out is I am getting an additional computer for my use only and will pass this one on to my daughter - so preferably I would be able to set her up as a proper adminstrator user on this pc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aragon

Aragon Private E-2

I'm bumping Cowbaggers thread here up as I have a similar problem and would also like to know what to do about it. When I log on as adminstrator and try to add/change or do anything to the other profiles/accounts on this comp it does one of two things. The first of these two things it does is just not react. The second thing which it has done is tell me that I may not have permission to access these accounts ............. any advice any one?

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds