Xp will not load past the select user log in screen.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Northco13, May 11, 2006.

1. Northco13

Northco13 Private E-2

I screwed up! I had a number of viruses on a work machine I cleaned all but one. Patched the machine up to current. The one virus I could not delete was Backdoor.trojan residing in windows\winsock\services.exe I tried Hijack this and a number of other options but eventually settled on deleting this file in Safe mode.

So far so good the machine was now clean but when I would reboot I would get a error window saying the file you are searching for C:windows\winsock\services.exe cannot be found please refine your search and check to make sure the path is correct. Ok so not a huge deal since I could find no listings for that specific string on the web etc.
    Here is where I screw up, I edit all instances of it out of the registry and reboot. The machine boots fine till the welcome screen user login then it gets to the user logon ( just the local machine login) I choose the default profile and it starts to log in it says loading your personal settings for about 2 seconds then it says Logging off. then saving your settings then it is back to the welcome screen

I tried safe mode same thing, so I figured I would do a XP repair from the Cd rom,,, except once it loads it tells me it can not find the HDD. Crap, ok I will slave it to another machine pull the user data which is the big deal, re-format and be good to go. Well I crack the case and it is a Sata1 drive with a 9 pin cable or whatever.... doh only machien I have seen with that and all the other boxes here use a normal ribbon.

Ok so I need to recover this data or fix my screw up any and all help is much appreciated!

Xp pro fully patched.
    Gigabyte MB GA-7CT600 1394

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you try "last know good configuration"?
    Also, I believe you can get an adapter to convert IDE ribbon to sata cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds