XP Windows Update - Cannot Check for Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by EVILL09, Nov 29, 2013.

1. EVILL09

EVILL09 Private E-2

im having the same problem but with xp sp3 pro ..updates cant be found ..microsoft tells me that the files are corrupt and damaged and the only thing i can do is a clean install..but i dont wanna loose everything being i dont have keys anymore for most of the softwares ..any help will be apreciated thank you in advance

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. EVILL09

EVILL09 Private E-2

thank you and ive tried a repair and microsoft support remotely tried to fix it but as usual they always tell you that you need a clean install.and still banged me for 100 bucks ..so far ive tried treaking windows a repair with the xp pro disk and the mr fix it from microsoft..the tech at microsoft support .com said there was other fixes but would not go any further because i didnt have the original disk but i have an xp pro sp3 disk ..ive run virus scans that came up clean .. so if anyone has any ideas id apreciate it..

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

If you still have a problem, try this: Make a backup image and after you do a clean install, you can mount the image and run your programs from there or transfer them.

If you purchase a Seagate, WD or Maxtor, you can get the Acronis Trueimage software (free) and make an image of your OS and

put it on your external hdd.( or my preference, another internal hdd).

If you need to recover your OS ( including programs, updates, etc) you can do it with a few clicks.

If you purchase a Seagate, WD or Maxtor, you can get the Acronis Trueimage software (free) and make an image of your OS and

put it on your external hdd or another internal hdd.

If you need to recover your OS ( including programs, updates, etc) you can do it with a few clicks.

You can also use Easeus for free and any hdd will work.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/acronis_true_image_western_digital_edition_software.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...ge_seagate_edition_software_(discwizard).html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easeus_todo_backup_free_edition.html

5. EVILL09

EVILL09 Private E-2

ok im a lil dumb in this department lol.. ok ill try loading acronis again because the acronis i have now wont work now neither.. i was hoping there was a way to repair it but i guess not..im a little lost with mounting the image

6. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

When I had XP, I don't remember if "mount image" in tools was a option.
    If not, go to backup and right click and "open" to see all files and programs.

Note" make sure you say to open with Acronis Trueimage.

This pic is using Win 7.

If Trueimage is not working, make sure Dev Mgr> Services, it is enabled.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds