xp wont connect to internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FED UP, Nov 28, 2010.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I switched my Acer AST180-UA381B from Vista to XP. It has a single core Athlon 64 3800 and 2 gigs of RAM. My dad only used it to play online poker, and it served that purpose fine. Unfortunately, my father recently passed away, and I got rid of the sluggish Vista, and Installed an unused OEM copy of XP Pro I had. Problem is, I s*ck at networking, and cannot get the machine to connect to the internet. The computer I am on now is connect to the same router (2Wire) by the same method (Ethernet cable) . I have googled, followed instructions from other forums to no avail. I just cant get the thing to connect. CMD>ipconfig returns no information.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need an XP driver for the ethernet controller
    Go here http://support.acer.com/notebook
    from what I read, your laptop has a Marvell Yukon but I have no idea what model.

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Its actually a desktop . And that link was bad..:( And yes I suspect it's a driver issue.

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Downloaded PC Wizard 2010 . By Network Card is says : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Yukon 88E8056 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller).
    I assume I will need to find the XP Driver for the 88E8056 .
    Thanks plodr.

5. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Driver downloaded, Installed, and i am successfully connected to the internet.
    Now, with some tweaking, maybe I can get a little performance out of this AMD64 3800+ .
    Graphics appear slow, window rendering is very jerky. Need to get security nailed down before anything else though.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Probably cause your lacking in a few drivers, id guess you need to find a better chipset and graphic driver, especially the graphic one. Good luck!

7. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

yes. the graphic driver is next on my list. Ive never seen an Athlon perform this poorly with the graphics. I have a funeral today, and will get on it afterwards. It's great therapy for me, I will eventually wind up with an XP machine -haven't had one in years, and lets face it - who wouldnt want an XP machine hanging around, just for gits and shiggles ?

So you think chipset drivers , then graphics drivers should be first based on the little information i've given ?
    I can give any information necessary, I can likely do it myself, but input from those more experienced than I is always welcome.:wave

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Damn right - if nothing else, it's a good thing to have handy for reference in order to answer all the XP questions we get here.

Agreed - the chipset is the foundation: virtually all peripheral data flows through the north- and southbridges, so their own controller software must be solid.

9. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Chipset is always first, and generally even if windows loaded chipset drivers, there is likely a better match from the manufacture.

10. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I believe this is the link for all of your drivers. Aspire T180. I tried to link direct but could not. You will have to use the drop-down box and select Desktop>Aspire>T180. All of the XP Pro drivers are listed. Good Luck.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product_support.aspx?tab=1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds