XP won't install... "No XP Compatible Partition" error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hashishian, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Hashishian

Hashishian Private E-2

I have two physical HDs - one 500GB & one 100GB. Both are Maxtors. My system has always run in a clean and efficient manner and has been well cared for. The smaller drive is just one partition and the larger one is cut into two partitions. I had XP Home installled on the smaller partition of the 500GB drive, using the 100GB for storage only, since it's speed was a bit slower and data access speeds are important to me. Anyway, something came up and I figured it was time for a fresh install of XP. No matter which drive or partition I attempt to install XP on, while in the setup program (my Windows CD) it tells me that the partition I've selected is not an XP compatible partition. I try to delete, create, etc... new partitions using the Windows CD, but I keep getting stuck on the the same path. I've turned my computer into a paperweight... No access whatsoever. Googling the error message only produces around 8 or 9 results, all of which lead to nowhere. Please can anybody help??? I'm the most desperate person on earth right now...

2. Tarquin BA

Tarquin BA Private First Class

Have you got or can you get a Windows 98 or ME startup floppy ?
    If so, you could try disconnecting the drive you want to keep as it is, then boot the computer off the floppy. Run FDISK at the prompt and check what partitions you actually have on the remaining hard drive. When you're sure you're looking at the right one, delete it, then create a new one, and set it to Active. See if XP will install on that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds