xp wont recognize digi camera

Discussion in 'Software' started by nazikiller, Jul 9, 2005.

1. nazikiller

nazikiller Private E-2

Hi Y'all,first time post so please pardon my ignorance.My PC doesn't register when I plug my digi camera in.In the camera instruction booklet it says that I needs a factory installed version of windows on the P.C. which mine hasn't got.I bought my computer from a fair as a used base unit.

What I want to know is do I need to worship at the altar of Bill Gates and buy a proper copy of XP,or is there a fix for this,maybe a way of making the computer think it has an original copy of XP.

All I want to do is print out my photos,so I'm thinking maybe I could jusy buy a Pictbridge printer and my problems would be solved.But I would like to be able to get the data from my camera to the hard drive on my P.C. if that is possible ???

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm not going to go into the pitfalls of using a none legit version of XP which is not going to help you with updates etc plus no one here will help you with making the OS think its legit, but it should be able to pickup your camera,

What camera is it?
    Did you get software with it?
    Have you been to maker or cameras webby site to download any drivers for the camera?

3. nazikiller

nazikiller Private E-2

Thanks Halo,the camera is an Olympus Camedia D 395 (C 160).I bought it new and installed the software and drivers from the supplied CD.

I've checked the web-site but the drivers there are the same as the ones on the disc.

The camera works with my daughters PC which runs 98SE,but this means using floppies (remember them !!) to get the images onto my computer.

BTW I wouldn't want to deprive B.G. from another few bucks by using a blag OS.That would be very naughty. ;)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

olympus cameras are pretty good at not needing drivers to run on XP... in my last job I did get to test out loads of cameras and the C160 was one of them and XP didnt need drivers to run it as it used its own mass driver.

uninstall the olympus drivers and plug in and switch on camera.. does XP find new hardware? ( should have a removable drive added in My Computer )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds