XP would not let me delete a fake user account folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by amighty, Oct 15, 2007.

1. amighty

amighty Private E-2

Hi there Helpers! smile.gif

There is a mysterious folder in my Documents and settings folder that would not delete. What I have there is: Administrator; All Users.Windows; Povila~2~ami (which is temporary); Povilas.Amighy; Povilas.Amighty. All of them but one, which is Povilas.Amighy (pay attention, it is missing one letter and it wasnt me who created it), can be either moved, or renamed or deleted or accessed. I cant even get into Povilas.Amighy. What I know for sure (from my Zone Alarm) that there are old Java files, that my antivirus treats as suspicious files. When I try to delete or access the folder I get this message: Access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected. I tried to overcome my system with various data deleting soft logged as a user, in safe mode or even through secure wipes and so on... nothing helped. When I put the HDD on defragmentation, everything works fine - no bad or unmovable clusters (except for the system ones). Thus I truly believe that this ban is caused by windows. I hope that there is a soft somewhere or a way to delete this folder before OS starts loading.
    The reason I really want to get rid of this folder is that it always stops my antivirus soft while scanning the computer as it has problems accessing this folder. Another reason is that when I created my user account, I am 100% sure I typed it correctly from the first time. If not, I could live with one typed incorrectly. But this one just appeared and would not go. BTW, I cant log on to this account because it is not shown in the login window...
    Please, help me out with this one. I will really be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you can rename the folder you may be able to control it. That is read the contents in notepad or whatever before deleting.

If not try Killbox

http://majorgeeks.com/Pocket_KillBox_d4709.html

However be aware that the offending folder may not be the only manifestation of whatever cause dthe problem. That is your registry may contain unwanted entries or there may be a rootkit added.

So I would also recommend going to the malware forum and following the cleaning procedures.

3. amighty

amighty Private E-2

OMG I found the solution myself! :major The killbox soft didnt do the work. Also said access denied. But then I noticed that I could browse through the security options of that folder. What I found out there that there was a false ownership of that folder and of all that were inside of it. It showed me either a code, or "unable to show the owner". So I replaced the owner with myself and got all the rights to delete the folder. NICE! :) It sounds so simple, but it bothered me for almost two years and now I am done with it :D. Oh I feel so happy and lol at the same time :D :D

Cheers

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Learning achievement is a wonderful thing...;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds