xplorer2 - an EXCELLENT alternative file manager

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

For those of you looking for a better explorer/manager program than Windows Explorer, check out xplorer2 on today's front page. They also have a 'lite' free version with reduced functionality, and I've been using the free one for years and love it. The paid version is fully functional for 21 days before payment is needed . . . more info and download links for the free version can be found at this link.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

I actually used Xplorer2 (as well as its predecessor: 2xExplorer) Lite version; a dual-pane file manager for Microsoft Windows operating systems, for several years and enjoyed it very much as an alternative to Windows Explorer... However, I gradually became disenchanted that the more advanced features are restricted to the Pro version. For example: As opposed to the professional version; this lesser version basically lacks customizability and any "search command." Additionally, Check Duplicates and Compare Subfolders functions are disabled in the 'free' lite version. Three other main features of the Xplorer2 Professional version not present in the lite version are advanced search (Omni-Finder), full Unicode support and robust transfer.

Often time's free versions of software are independent of their paid upgrade, however Xplorer2 Lite is simply Xplorer2 with more than just a few of the far more useful options turned off. This can make for an extremely frustrating experience while using it, because many of the options (those that are made unavailable) are not clearly labeled as such. But for me, the biggest negative is that you still must use the Windows Explorer search function in order to search for any files. Don't get me wrong here, I’m not really complaining because Xplorer2 Lite, which is offered free for personal and academic use and is actually an overall useful program; however the fact remains that it is - simply put - the free version of the far more useful paid software (which incidentally only costs around $30 bucks and well worth it; for what you get, particularly if you fancy the advanced features).

Side Note: Be sure to check out the Feature Comparison Table at the developer’s website. This table compares Windows Explorer (windows 7 version), and the lite and professional versions of xplorer².

Here's a Genuine 'Freeware' Alternative to the built-in Windows Explorer (Explorer++ Recommendation):

As an alternative, I have more recently tested using another entirely freeware program called Explorer++ which is a far superior freeware multi-tab file manager for Windows (at least in my opinion) that offers features Windows Explorer sorely lacks, like tabbed browsing, secure file deletion, file merging and splitting, instant command line access, and keyboard shortcuts. I especially like the ability to optionally select the "Folder Size" setting and the tabbed browsing for easy management of multiple folders. Also it offers 'drag-and-drop' support with other applications, including Windows Explorer. Advanced file operations such as merging and splitting are also supported. The newest version of Explorer ++ implemented the media protection column.

It is available for use on Windows XP and above and it features basically the same familiar type of interface as the standard built-in Windows Explorer, while Explorer ++ introduces numerous useful as well as pioneering enhancements for a much improved file browsing experience. I also like the fact users can separate the 32 or 64 bit version and the XML and put it on a flash drive or any folder on your HDD.

Side Note: Unfortunately Explorer++ is apparently not available here at Major Geeks (at least I could not find it here when I used the MG search box). It is however available here: Explorer++ website

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I was merely informing the MG public that a free 'scaled down' version of xplorer2 was available. Personally, I have not used the paid version (nor its trial version) so I can't say that the free version is missing any functionality; the functionality that I've found in the free version suits my needs wonderfully, much more so than Windows Explorer. I'm sure that since the free version is so excellent, the paid version must be even more so.

Apparently I chimed in on a thread about 5 years ago which covered alternative file managers and explorers: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146554

EDIT: in the thread I linked to, the download link for the program "a43" is dead. It can be downloaded from numerous other sites, but it seems that their main page is now http://www.alterion.us/a43/

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I was merely informing the MG public that a free 'scaled down' version of xplorer2 was available. Personally, I have not used the paid version (nor its trial version) so I can't say that the free version is missing any functionality; the functionality that I've found in the free version suits my needs wonderfully, much more so than Windows Explorer. dlb <<

Oh, I totally agree with you dlb... When I originally was using the Xplorer2 "Lite" version (as well as its predecessor: 2xExplorer) I thought they were both downright revolutionary and were WAY better than Windows Explorer ever was - like night and day, really. However, as I said in the previous thread; after I tried out the Explorer++ freeware program I consequently used it from then on because of the major improvements on functionality as well as having far more 'advanced' options available than the Xplorer2 "Lite" version.

>> I'm sure that since the free version is so excellent, the paid version must be even more so. dlb <<

Side Note: For those who might want to try out dlb's suggestion of the Xplorer2 "Lite" version... Be sure to check out the Feature Comparison Table at the developer's website. This table offers a very detailed checklist which compares Windows Explorer (Windows 7 version), as well as the numerous available features of both the 'lite' and 'professional' (shareware) version of xplorer² - which actually offers way more features for any 'power' users out there. ;)

Good Luck -- COMP

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I have one on my ultimate Xp boot disk never really used it much mind you in any case it does what it made too do in plane and simple.;)

6. zennspirit

zennspirit Private E-2

Thanks, I went crazy trying to find a download button for this program, until I read your note.
    I mean this website is "suppose" to be for "downing programs" right?
    I never had that experience before. Hats off to you!
    (BTW I had used this program before my computer crash and I lost the program.
    I think the program is great! My Windows Explorer is always freezing but not this little gem.)
    zennspirit

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I hereby stab this necro thread in its black undead heart, to send it back from whence it came.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds