Yahoo Hell!

Discussion in 'Software' started by pussum, Nov 29, 2006.

1. pussum

pussum Private E-2

Hi guys, I have a small problem and I was hoping someone would know what to do or at least where to point me so I can find the info I need. Yesterday night I caught my soon to be step son chatting over yahoo instant messenger. I didn't really think anything of it, but when I walked in the room he started closing boxes like crazy and got really paranoid until I left the room. Later I thought about it and his mother and I decided to do some investigating. We checked his yahoo logs and some of the stuff that we found almost gave his mom a heart attack. He is talking to a lot of "less-than-desireable" people and is going to get himself into trouble. Needless to say he is now grounded from yahoo, but he still needs the PC to complete some of his day to day school work.

He gave us his word he wouldn't get on it again, but we all know how kids are. As soon as mom and dad are out of the house and he gets back from school he will be right on it again. So, I was wondering if there was some kind of free program that would block yahoo messenger from being able to be used, and run secretly so that he can't find it. I have done a ton of google searches and searched through a good portion of major geeks and they all have lead me to the same program that is free to download, but cost money to use for more than seven days. IM lock is what it is called. I need something that I can just turn off and on at will so that if he does get himself into trouble again I can just flip it off. If anyone knows what to do or how to do it some advice would be ever so greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What operating system are you using?

If NT/2000/XP, you could create a separate account for him that isn't able to install YIM.

3. pussum

pussum Private E-2

I am using XP. I don't want to have to create another profile for him because I don't mind him using yahoo im, but he needs to cool his jets for a while. Once he has whatever it is that has got him all bass ackwards and he pulls his head out of his butt he can get on yahoo again, but if it happens again I want to know that I already have something to take care of the problem. Then I will, if I have to, make him a limited account on the PC.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

My mistake! All I read was "block YIM"...

To be able to turn it on and off at will, I would suggest a firewall like Sygate Personal Firewall with password protected settings. It's completely free!

Please see this link for a user's guide for SPF.

Note: If you're using Windows Firewall, you should turn it off when you decide to install another firewall.

5. pussum

pussum Private E-2

This is where I would have to know what port yahoo uses and block them off with the firewall right?

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No. Sygate is application based. You should be able to go into the 'applications' section, and right-click Yahoo Instant Messenger until it says 'blocked' or 'allowed'

7. pussum

pussum Private E-2

Really? Awsome. One question though, How well does it hide itself? I don't want it poping up when the computer is restarted. I basicly want it so that he has no clue why he can't log onto yahoo. Also, is there a way to hide it from the add/remove programs in the control panel?

8. pussum

pussum Private E-2

anyone know the answer to my question. I am not sure myself.

Thanks!

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

There may be another way.

Is this XP home or Pro?

If sygate is not the answer, I do have an answer that is a bit advanced, that uses permission settings for particular users. Basically, if the user wishes to run the app, it will come up with a box, that says that this app is restricted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds