Yahoo Messenger crashes my computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by epicfail13, Jun 18, 2010.

1. epicfail13

epicfail13 Private E-2

History: My 2-month-old Windows 7 Professional computer has had several blue screen of death incidents, and I have narrowed it down to Yahoo Messenger. Several weeks ago, I uninstalled Yahoo Messenger and all problems vanished. After three weeks or so of problem-free running, I reinstalled Yahoo Messenger and made sure nothing was running during the install. No problems since then until today.

Today: I noticed Yahoo Messenger had changed some features recently; I suppose it updated. I haven't used it in a few days, but I started to use it and moments later I got sent to the blue screen. Uninstalled it and no problems.

Question is: What is going on here? :confused How can I continue to use Yahoo Messenger without crashing my computer? I am going to do a clean install and see what happens from there, but this really shouldn't be happening; no program should crash after automatically updating, let alone shut down the whole computer. I will not use Windows Messenger, I don't chat on Facebook, but I might consider other applications for this function. I don't know what other information is relevant to this problem, so let me know.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Curious. Have you tried running it in xp mode?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yahoo Messenger shouldnt have been crashing Windows 7, but you have troubleshooted and narrowed it down to YM, would like to have known the full BSOD error message you gained (dont need the mini dump file)?

What version are you using? latest is v10.0.0.1270
    What security software do you have installed? try re-installing Yahoo and then disabling your security software just to see if one fo those was affecting Yahoo.

As TimW mentions, could run Yahoo in Compatability Mode for XP, right click the Yahoo shortcut and choose Properties > Comptability tab and choose say XP SP3

As an alternate you could try the cross application Digsby* as it allows you to chat in this one app with the various other IM apps or Pidgin or Trillian Astra* which are the same type of apps.

*do read the notes on the Majorgeeks download pages for these apps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds