Yahoo messenger? invisible?

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Apr 17, 2009.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I haven't dowloaded yahoo messenger, I have seen a few threads on here about issues with it and I simply use the web-based yahoo messenger.
    my querry is simply, How can I see if one of my friends is invisible (and thus online)?
    thanks

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

What country are you in? (Don't answer that question :-D). In some parts of the world this would amount to illegal, private use of surveillance equipment and land you in trouble.

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

There are supposedly hacks that can do that but I have not looked for or tried any. I wouldn't trust one anyway. And if they don't want to be bothered then why try to spy on them?

I've had issues a few times with Yahoo Messenger but an update will usually straighten it out.

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Even the police needs a court order or some sort of a warrant for activities like this - in most countries. It's not worth it...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

police need a court order to see if someone is online?

I didnt realize this was illegal anywhere

Users in Yahoo Messenger can be online in invisible status (avoiding you...) and they will show you on your Yahoo Messenger as offline ( the gray face icon next to on the right of her/his name).

Method that show you if your friend is offline or online is called Doodle IMvironment Method and it works with Yahoo Messenger 7.0

Doodle IMvironment Method
    1. In the main window of Yahoo Messenger offline or invisible user will show a gray icon on the left of her name. Double-click on the username of friend you want to see if is really offline or not.

2. After message window open send some message to that user (you can send a character only).

3. When you send message, Click IMVironment button, select See all IMVironments, select Interactive Fun, and click on Doodle. 4. After loading the Doodle IMVironment there is two possibilities:

Possibility A: If Doodle area show "waiting for your friend to load Doodle" for a while (few seconds) it means that user is offline

Possiblity B: If Doodle area show a blank page it means that user is online (in invisible mode).

There is some methods that is not working any more with Yahoo Messenger 7.0 but it may be usefull for users: A. Voice Chat Method, B. Conference Invitation

6. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

7. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

If it is a third party software/website and not owned by Yahoo then it is most likely a way to circumvent the Yahoo policy.

To me that's spying.

Besides using junk like that is likely to put spyware on your computer. I wouldn't trust anything that isn't Yahoo owned/approved.

And, no offense, but we normally don't advise here at Majorgeeks on how ot do such activities so I'm sure this isn't the place to be trying for answers to this.

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

couldn't agree more, if your friend is only "appearing offline" then respect the reasons for that for goodness sake. I'm sure she/he will get back to you eventually :rolleyes

9. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I do take offense, but it is indeed deserved.
    thanks for telling me what a dumbass I was in my incorrect thinking, it's much appreciated and I'm taking this advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds