Yahoo toolbar 9.1.1 causes ie 9.0 64 bit to crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by alray1989, Feb 24, 2014.

1. alray1989

alray1989 Private E-2

I am using win 7 home prem - ie 9.0 - yahoo toolbar 9.1.1.75 and ATT/Yahoo email.

ie crashes many many times. I have run ie without add-ons - NO crash.

So I started to run with add-ons - disable one at a time.

It is the Yahoo toolbar that causes the problem. Have uninstalled and downloaded and reinstalled. Same problem. Getting help from Yahoo is a joke.

BTW - this also happens if I run Firefox with Yahoo toolbar.

Any ideas will be appreciated

2. alray1989

alray1989 Private E-2

Correction! IE 9.0 is 32 bit running on a 64 bit Dell XPS8300.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Quick question, do you need this toolbar and what does it offer you? reason I ask is I always advise users never to install any toolbars as that can potentially cause issue like this.

I would say the toolbar has issues with x64 IE, but you are running from your comment the 32bit version of IE, but what I would do is and I'm wondering if the Yahoo toolbar needs a newer version of IE to run ok, as Windows 7 is capable of running IE10 for Win 7

Some other info HERE on Yahoo toolbar and IE and Win 7

Sadly in the end toolbars are a nightmare and in the main do not play well with browsers, so if you really don't need it and cannot think of a reason to have one, as search is built into most browsers main menu these days, don't use one.

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I agree with DavidGP, I've removed more toolbars than anything else when a computer is brought to me. Most people like them because it's easy access to certain sites, but I would rather take a second or two longer to load a site than deal with the problems the toolbars can cause.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds