yay, i have to get a new video card - opinions wanted :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ssjchris_29, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ssjchris_29

ssjchris_29 Private E-2

Ok, friday night/saturday morning, whichever you prefer, i was playing diablo 2 on bnet and all of a sudden, my computer just died. i tried to power it back up, and although it powered up it did not boot, it just beeped at me. when i awoke the next morning i did a lil troubleshooting and at the moment it is my video card because when i replaced it with a pci card the PC booted just find. i was using a geforce 4 mx 440 and i've had it for like 4 years i think so its not a huge loss to me. at the moment i'm looking at the XFX Geforce 6600GT AGP but want a few other opinions. the system specs are in my sig and the absolute maximum budget is 225 bucks including shipping. i do some gaming (i do a lotta genres, diablo 2, jedi academy, jedi academy 2, and a buncha other stuff :)) and i watch a lotta dvd's on intervideo windvd 6, and schoolwork. does the 6600gt support the purevideo technology that nvidia came out with that can help improve dvd playback quality and performance? Thanks for any opinions and help :D

2. Olley

Olley Sergeant

Yes, it does have this purevideo thing, but im not sure if it can already be fully used... anyway, i was also going to get a gf 6600GT until i found out that most gf 6600 have severe chip problems. apparently about 40-50% of them are faulty and either have severe problem, such as freezing the pc or having graphical glitches etc or they just dont work at all from the start on or die after only a few days/weeks... i suggest that you do some more research on this card before you decide to buy one which potentially is just a waste of money... personally i decided to go for a gf6800gt, more expensive but no fatal error rate of 40-50%...

check out this forum thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1545

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

HANDS DOWN, get yourself a 6600GT. If you can afford, see if you can get a BFG 6600GT OC as it will slightly perform better because of its factory overclock.

its within your budget, a great little card, and will play your games magnificently.

while the 6800GT's are better for high end games, it's video processing is broken. I have one. I still love the thing to death, but standard HDTV videos are very jumpy and seem to be 'skipping' frames. only HRHD videos work very well, and it's not a codec problem as it has been recognized by Nvidia.

the 6600 doesnt have this problem and will play all videos just fine.

4. ssjchris_29

ssjchris_29 Private E-2

interesting read on the 6600 cards. my absolute maximum budget is 225 bucks and including shipping. i'm paying for college, car insurance, and i owe my parants a rather large chunk of change totalling about 1500 bucks so yeah, money is tight. does anyone know somewhere online where i can meet this budget and either get the xfx 6600gt with the updated cooling (the shiny cooler that they changed to) or by some miracle of god a 6800 regular (but able to be softmodded to a 6800gt/ultra whatever)? does anyone else have experience with the xfx card as well? it'll be about 2 or maybe 3 weeks until i can afford the card so i have a little time but i want to be sure i'm getting something that'll last me a few years again (i'm a total geek, i love to upgrade, but money is tight for me so i only do it every couple years or when something breaks) again, thanks for the opinions and stuff, everything i can hear on these forums counts :)

5. N5638J

N5638J Guest

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Oh, now thats harsh, you've only just met the guy!

5200FX is a waste of time and money if you ask me. Get a 6xxxx for sure. My Ti 4200 runs HL2 better than a 5200FX does (EVEN with directX 9 shaders disabled).

The XFX cards are nice, but they run hotter than most. Give em some room and at least an exhaust fan and they're great cards :) A XFX 6800Ultra 256MB runs Doom3 on Ultra mode, 1024x768 at 70FPS. Not bad, eh?

7. Verig

Verig Private E-2

Really funny... $130 for THAT? I wouldn't even buy it for $50.

8. Olley

Olley Sergeant

i have a 5200 256mb ram, unfortunately, but its working surprisingly good on doom3 and all other games (hl2, battle for middle earth and far cry). i can even play doom 3 in Ultra mode....dont ask me how but it works with frames up to ca 30... but still, dont buy it, especially not for that price.....
    i heard that the xfx is pretty hot too, and loud.. check this site out, they have an excellent good variety of vid.cards (and also other stuff)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_AGP.html

9. ssjchris_29

ssjchris_29 Private E-2

lol, yea, i'm definitly going for the 6xxx series, and i know my processor/motherboard/ram is the bottleneck here, but i rotate hardware every couple years, and right now i dont do anything super serious gaming wise, and my job sux and i need a car, so mid/high range is the way to go for me. eventually i want a dual opteron / dual SLI rig, and this box here would then be a legacy box for emulators and stuff. lol. but that's a *long* way off. for now i just need a nice video card cause my geforce 4 mx 440 was old, and the pci geforce 2 mx is basically running solitaire, freecell and diablo 2 (until i do a reformat and reinstall windows. lol, that happens when i get the video card). ok, well, again thanks for any help :) keep the comments coming :)

10. diablo2halterror

diablo2halterror Private E-2

hi have any solutions about an error like this I can play diablo2 for many hours or only maybe sometimes 20 minutes and it will freeze on me

i have a belt right try to fill it up but ex.. 2 potions one will skip and will not pick up the third potion in the column

I press the windows key to minimize and
    this is the
    error:

Halt

expression unrecoverable internal error 6fbjee

11. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

This thread is very very old. Please make a new thread in the hardware forum on this issue. Be sure to include the following:

-the issue you are experiencing, and when it happens
    -which OS you are using (Windows XP, Vista, 2000)
    -what kind of computer you have (the more specific, the better, specific components even better!)
    -what drivers you are using (particularly video card drivers, if you know)

If you give us the above, we can do our best to help you. Also, and I say this constructively, not to flame you, try to use complete sentences and proper grammar. The easier your post is to read, the easier it is for us to help you!

Welcome to MajorGeeks!

12. diablo2halterror

diablo2halterror Private E-2

halt error in diablo 2

hi have any solutions about an error like this I can play diablo2 for many hours or only maybe sometimes 20 minutes and it will freeze on me

i have a belt right try to fill it up but ex.. 2 potions one will skip and will not pick up the third potion in the column

I press the windows key to minimize and
    this is the
    error:

Halt

expression unrecoverable internal error 6fbjee

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds