Yellow Cautionary Triangle In System Tray

Discussion in 'Software' started by Apocrypha, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Apocrypha

Apocrypha Private E-2

Hi there. I'm currently getting this yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside it in the system tray at bootup. I have a feeling it may have something to do with Avira Antivir (Free) as when I had Norton 2009 installed a few days ago it didn't appear, though it did when I had Antivir installed before that. I've done scans using the NOD32 and F-Secure on-line scans. They picked up nothing. I've done scans using SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes and Combofix, as well as Antivir itself. They too picked up nothing, so I pretty confident that this isn't a piece of malicious software. I thought it might have something to do with disabling the Splash screen for Antivir, but I've done the same process to Antivir on another computer and that doesn't have this problem. I removed the tweak just in case and this didn't solve the problem.

When I scroll over the triangle I get no pop-up with any information, and when I click on it it goes away immediately.

This is my HijackThis log when the triangle has appeared:

All help very much appreciated.

Attached Files:

• HJT.txt
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dont think a HJT log will help as dont think its malware related and HJT logs ( log looks clean on quick glance ) are not a great troubeshooting tool, think more along the lines that with the icon your describing that its a software issue , possibly you still may have components of Norton on your PC, so run the removal tool from here

Also check the Event Viewer for any alerts around the time of this yellow triangle warning.

3. Apocrypha

Apocrypha Private E-2

Hi. Cheers for the speedy response, greatly appreciated. I tried out the Norton Removal Tool and unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, though it did get rid of some Services that Norton had left behind (that'll teach me for trying out Norton again).

I suppose it's not a particularly annoying problem as all I have to do is click on it and it goes away. It's just a tad irksome that obviously something is wrong, it just won't tell me what.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. oma

oma MajorGeek

Did you have Avira and Norton running on 1 computer? One should always use just one antivirus. It creates conflict.

Try to remove Avira with this http://majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html under "advanced". Be careful to delete only the items in bold and reinstall Avira. . See if that helps, may be worth a try.

Good luck!

5. Apocrypha

Apocrypha Private E-2

Sorry, no I don't have Norton installed anymore. Should've made that clear in my original post.

Anyway, I just booted up my computer and it didn't appear. I'll try a few more boot ups to make sure that it's gone for good, but it seems that something worked. The Norton Removal Tool possibly? Good stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds