Yellow warning triangle

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tobster, May 28, 2008.

1. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

Hi
    I don't know if this is a software related issue, but here goes. I've suddenly been getting a small yellow warning triangle popping up in my taskbar. If I click on it, either right or left, it just disappears and won't lead me anywhere or offer information etc - not very helpful. It then reappears pretty quickly and just sits there. What is going on & where should I look for more information?
    Thanks

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

It might be worth paying a visit the the malware forum to make sure it's not a malware problem.

3. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

Do you know what system/program is creating this warning triangle? That might help me find out what it thinks is awry.

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

i mentiond malware because the only time i got that warning was when a piece of malware got onto my system. that might not be the same in your case but thought i would mention it. someone might be along soon with another answer for you.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Can we perhaps get a list of processes running when the triangle is on screen?

To do it, please do this:

1. Hit Windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog, type 'CMD' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click the 'OK' button)
    4. At the command prompt type the following:

Code:
    tasklist > %TEMP%\tasklist.txt && notepad %TEMP%\tasklist.txt
    5. Use the instructions in the HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post FAQ to attach this text file to this thread.

6. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

Mada Milty - thanks for the suggestion - I shall try that when I get home this pm

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Be sure to post it as an attachment, and not as a post. Want to make sure only humans, and not spammers and their bots can read it ;)

8. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

Mada Milty
    Well I had a quick look in the Events viewer and found loads of events under system - application popup. I was prompted to do a chkdsk so I did with fix activated on reboot. This time it found a number of things to fix & the triangle has so far diappeared. It is the first time I've ever seen chkdsk find something, then fix it & then make a difference - fingers crossed all is now well.:)

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Nice catch!

10. Tobster

Tobster Private E-2

it's still alive after a night of abuse - hurray!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds