Yet another Intel 82801DB ICH4 audio driver thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by Desu-San-Desu, May 17, 2010.

1. Desu-San-Desu

Desu-San-Desu Private E-2

Hey everyone, I know this is a common problem, but most threads are closed and don't deal with my OEM brand. So I'm trying it anew. I got this computer from a friend because it wouldn't boot. I'm using it now so I've obvious gotten it this far, but I still can't get the audio working. I've swapped in a fresh HDD, formatted and done a clean XP OS install. I've updated all drivers except for the printer and the audio. I get feedback from the audio jacks so they're getting power, but I don't get any sound and windows doesn't recogonize any audio hardware. It appears this chipset is quite problematic judging from how many people have had similar problems. Anyway, here's the pertinent info:

OEM Brand: eMachines w2646

Mobo: Imperial GV 20030812

Everest Text Summary:

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name JACKSPARROW (HallHouse)
    User Name Owner

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2600 MHz (26 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV
    System Memory 768 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (10/02/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
    Monitor Sony SDM-X202 [20" LCD] (5703383)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive ST340823A (40 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive LITE-ON LTR-24102B (24x/10x/40x CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 38154 MB (32556 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Mouse Logitech USB Wheel Mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.64)

Peripherals:
    Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [B-0]
    USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]
    USB Device Generic USB Hub
    USB Device Logitech USB Wheel Mouse
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device USB Printing Support

Motherboard 31861.EM.0000.D.0310021607
    Motherboard DMIMOBO: TriGem Computer, Inc. Imperial
    Motherboard DMISYS: eMachines, Inc. Imperial
    Motherboard Unknown

I've tried dozens of drivers. The drivers from the eMachines site crashes whenever I run it. Please help?

2. Desu-San-Desu

If it helps, on the motherboard itself, there is a large chip with the RealTek logo with "RTL 8101L 3B200AL" written on it.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The eMachines drivers, install the Chipset first from HERE and then reboot and install the Audio from HERE and test sound.

If that doesnt work then you will likely have to fool XP SP3 into thinking it as SP2 installed to allow the UAA (High Def Audio) to be installed again, then install the eMachines Audio driver.

4. Desu-San-Desu

Hi, Halo.

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed the directions to the letter, including editing the registry back to SP2. Progress was obvious when, after updating the chipset, the RealTek driver install didn't crash upon trying to start the updater. I'd updated the chipset already using the same chipset driver so I don't know what changed, but upon rebooting the device manager is recognizing the RealTek AC'97 audio and is displaying the volume icon on the taskbar once I edit the registry and rebooted.

However, the volume slider on the taskbar icon and in the Multimedia and Sound section of the Control Panel is grayed out and unaccessible along with speaker settings. In the M&S dialog box, I checked the Audio tab and noticed that under the playback and recording devices, along with the RealTek AC'97 audio, the system also lists "Modem #0 Line Playback" and "Modem 30 Line Recording", respectively.

Could this mystery modem devide be causing the lack of volume control?

For the sake of verification, I'll past the Everest Summary of the Multimedia section of its report:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer JACKSPARROW (HallHouse)
    Generator Owner
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2010-01-03
    Time 13:31

--------[ Windows Audio ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

midi-out.0 0001 0066 Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    mixer.0 FFFF FFFF Realtek AC97 Audio
    wave-in.0 FFFF FFFF Realtek AC97 Audio
    wave-in.1 0001 0050 Modem #0 Line Record
    wave-out.0 FFFF FFFF Realtek AC97 Audio
    wave-out.1 0001 0051 Modem #0 Line Playback

--------[ PCI / PnP Audio ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] PCI

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

It could be causing you issues, so try installing the Modem driver from emachines HERE (its the one for your model of PC.

Also do mention what devices in Device Manager have yellow ! marks next to them?

6. Desu-San-Desu

Halo,

The modem in question was a 3rd-party PCI modem and sound card that had been removed early on in the repair process and the drivers remained. I removed the drivers and subsequently the mysery Modem #0 disappeared. I installed your offered driver anyway, just in case, but I don't see any difference in anything. The only audio device the system sees now is the RealTek AC'97, but still no dice on having volume control. Still have grayed out volume sliders and can't access speaker controls (also grayed out) in the control panel and on the taskbard volume icon.

As for devices in the device manager, there are no yellow exclamation points. Everything is recognized and considered to be in working order by the system. Even the sound device is said to be working properly. I've tried plugging in multiple sets of speakers to no avail. I've also tried lowering audio hardware acceleration to ever possible setting with no change. I've currently got it set to "standard".

That's all I can tell you. If you want some screenshots of the grayed out sliders, I can do that for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds