Yet another ridiculous air cooler.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Sep 30, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Some of you may remember that I posted a thread some time ago about a CPU cooler with 7 pipes, and how it was lame because the outer pipes were unlikely to be used.... well, we now have yet ANOTHER double-tower air cooler (which is OK) but this one features EIGHT pipes!!! The cooling base is big enough to cover two CPUs if they were right next to each other.... check out this monster: http://www.techpowerup.com/152865/Alpenfohn-Announces-K2-Twin-Tower-CPU-Cooler.html The outer 2 pipes on each side are likely to be completely unused..... here's a pic of the base:

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-09-30/146c.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

It looks good but while the noise is not so bad the temp ratings are missing form the text, I get a not so bad 30F from a Zalman CNPS9900A in normal room temps of 65f but coupled with good case cooling also.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I agree with the last poster in the first link as surplus heat would migrate to the outside pipes. However, even if it's super quiet I'd never get this for several reasons.

1) Huge!:eek
    2) Heavy at 1.4kg(3 lbs)
    3) No socket 2011 support(why?:confused)

I'd rather get a Corsair H-100 or equiv. closed water loop HS/F just for the space and weight, besides slicing my fingers with these types of fin coolers. I like my Hyper 212+ on my OC'd 2600K but it was a bitch to install.

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I WANT IT!!!!!! Just for the pure sake of having it.:-D;)

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, along with a clear case side too, to show the big sucker off with lights all over!:p:-D I like practical stuff though I haven't seen any head to head tests yet.;)

6. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

EXACTLY haha:-D

7. THawk

THawk Private E-2

I'm not an engineer, but those pipes look way too close to each other.

In looking at your image, how about them running at 90 degrees up and have a lot more space in between each one. A ribbed heat sink, style, encasement made of aluminum instead of an enclosed box.

Wouldn't that make it run cooler and give you a bit more room for overclocking (which I presume this is for).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds