You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by css5050, Sep 24, 2011.

1. css5050

css5050 Private E-2

I think this is suppose to be easier than it is. I have a Win 7 and an xp on a network. Currently I have my Brother printer MFC6490CW hooked up to the xp. I have recently decided to connect my printer to the network so both computers can use the printer without the other being on. When I go to my router located in "Network" and simply want to add a printer I get "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation". I log on as administrator AND I checked my file sharing and it is set to share printers. Then I tried turning off my firewall and I still get the same error. What the heck do I need to do. All I want to do is print from any computer to my printer without the dependency of the other computer being on. Screen Shot is attached. Please help. :confused

Attached Files:

2. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

You connected a printer to your router.

How did you connect it, type of connection, make and model of router, make and model of printer.

3. css5050

css5050 Private E-2

Ruebarb - It is connected by USB. It is a Brother MFC6490CW printer and my router is Linksys E4200.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

5. css5050

css5050 Private E-2

ibmest - I have tried those methods on multiple occasions found in the manual and after many failures I tried to add the printer through my router then when I got the error message I wrote the initial problem off as a permissions problem. Would that have been a safe assumption?

FYI, I tried the manuals methods again and was denied. I tried the methods after I shut everything down, then booted my router, minutes later then booted my computers and then my printer.

6. css5050

css5050 Private E-2

Ok, I am totally frustrated now!! I called Brother and after going through the same procedure that I went through in the manual, they said that the printer is not the problem and that I needed to contact Linksys who is the manufacturer of my router. I called Linksys and after tracing it they said there is nothing wrong. But they could guarantee to resolve the problem if I signed for a 1 year service plan. What the heck is that about??!! I told them no thank you and hung up. Isn't there anyone out there who has a solution?????

7. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

I also have a Linksys E4200. The router is not designed to perform printer sharing via usb, this will never work. The usb port is for hard drives only for file sharing on your network.

Page 8 of the manual
    •• USB port—To easily share disk storage with other users on your network
    or on the Internet, connect a USB drive to this port. For more information,
    see “Using an External Drive” on page 44.

Your printer is designed for network sharing on TCP/IP protocol. You can connect the printer with a network cable to the router or wireless.

Follow the network user guide with the network cable connection, you should have better luck.

8. css5050

css5050 Private E-2

:cool :cool
    OK, here it is:
    It turns out that the manual and Brother were correct, as well as Linksys. Because I did not realize there was a security key entered while I was installing my software for my Linksys wireless router, I was continually answering the Brother prompts for the network setup as an open system. I literally stumbled across it tonight, that in fact I did have a security key. It was found in my control panel/Network and Internet/Manage Wireless Networks and then clicked on my network listed and then opened the security tab and there it was! All the settings I needed to enter into the Brother printer.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!
    Thank you Ruebarb and ibmest!

Lesson Learned :cry........ Advice for the next guy like me, pay attention to what you are doing while you are installing new devices and write down and keep safe codes, passwords or "Security Keys"

Egg in my face :-o.... See Ya.

9. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Glad you got it sorted and we appreciate the feedback.:major

(You don't want to know the number of times I've :banghead after finally figuring out a problem because the solution is right there in front of me all the time. ;))

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds