Your help would be great.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blade897, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Blade897

Blade897 Private First Class

I would really appreciate some help becuase i dont know what do to. Also i dont know if this is the right thread. But anyway i restarted my computer before going to see a movie. When i got back i clicked my username and then about 1 minute later i got a blue screen saying: A porblem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    The problem seems to be cuased by the following file: vidstub.sys
    Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

i restarted my computer becuase it said to do so but it came up agian. I went into safe mode as directed but it went out of safe mode and restarted my computer. The Technical information is
    *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8067DE54, 0x00000000, 0xF846971, 0x00000000)

*** vidstub.sys - Address F8456971 base at F8456000, DateStamp 40856326.

Anyhelp at all would be very very appreciated since i have no ideas whats so ever on how to fix this problem. The most recent software i have installed was Game XP and i reinstalled my comp and got the blue screen.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Blade897,

I'm going strictly by the error message you are getting with this, do you have Stardock Bootskin?

I have come across a few articles that mention this.

Steve

3. Blade897

Stardock bootskin is that the thing that allows you to choose skins that you start up with? If so, yes i have downloaded that but a long time ago from this site.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If it was a long time ago you may not have the newer version. I would try uninstalling it and see if that solves your problem.

If it does and you want to keep Bootskin just reinstall it or try the new version 1.05, I think.

Hope this, or works for you, let us know.

Steve

5. Blade897

How would i unistall it when i get even get into my computer. I tried safe mode but it like bypasses it. it just goes to the menu screen then rebootes out of safe mode.

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

7. Blade897

So how did this problem happen? Thanks for the reply's anyway but i guess that's my only option? Well ill try that thanks agian for the replys.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I agree with MA, that maybe your only option. Try rebooting a couple of times in regular and safe mode, if that doesn't work go with the repair.

Steve

9. Blade897

Mata i dont think your getting the point where when i reboot into safe mode it somehow bypasses it and im stuck with the regular reboot (no offense)

Major im to the point where it wants to know what to repair. i dont know what to do. i tried Fixboot but i dont know what a bootsector is or anything. so please help me on what to repair. thanks guys for the replys

Last edited: Aug 1, 2004
  10. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I get your point, just suggested that because it's Windows........ MA or another member with more experience can help you with the repair process. No offense taken my friend.

Steve

11. Blade897

Alright thanks i was just knida annoyed when i said that becuase i wanted to play CS while waiting for you guys to reply but then my steam didnt work. Today sucks lol. But anyway sorry about that post becuase you have helped.

12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Im still assuming your using XP. so next time, insert the XP CD and choose repair and follow the prompts. It can replace corrupted system files and can often repair unbootable computer problems.

13. Blade897

I use XP but i dont know what to repair it doesnt say like repair all it makes me select a file to repair which i dont know which one to pick.

FYI: im doing this before going into my user name on XP. im using the Windows Setup it looks like a cmd thing.

14. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

There shouldn't be any options for you to pick beyond choosing to repair your XP Install, or Install Windows.

1. Restart your machine with the XP CD in the drive, and boot from the cd.
    2. After the boot sequence is done loading all the generic drivers, you're given some options:
    • 1. To Repair your Windows XP Installation, Press R
    • 2. To Install Windows XP to the chosen Partition, press Enter
    3.Press R at this point and let it go. You'll need to supply your CD Key again, and reset your Regional Settings, but afterward, you should be able to boot normally.

15. Blade897

When we press R and it asks for a password and when i put it in it says C:/ Windows

16. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Are you giving it the administrator password or a user account password?

17. Blade897

admin pass

18. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

BRB, researching it on microsft's web site :)

19. Blade897

ok Thanks for your help IceMan

20. Blade897

Hmmm let me give you a step to step guide of what is happening.

First i put in the disk and pres f5
    then i press use disk
    Then it loads the repair. and it starts it up. i press R then it gives me a Microsoft Windows XP<TM> recovery Console.

It shows on a black screen

1: C:\Windows

Which windows installation would you like to log onto
    <to cancel, press Enter>
    i press 1
    the it says
    Administrator pass?
    i type in the pass then is says
    <C:\Windows>

This is the point where i dont know what to do to repair the file.

21. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

You aren't pressing F2 at the beginning to start Automated System Recovery are you? I loaded my XP cd and started the repair process, and never got a CMD screen. It asked what installation I wanted to repair, and then went into a reinstall of windows.

22. Blade897

No i didnt press f2 i just pressed r then i got a cmd looking screen.

23. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Unfortunately Microsoft's site doesn't go into a lot of detail about what commands to use to repair you installation. What I would try next is similar to booting into Safe Mode, but instead choose Start Last Know Good Configuration. See if that will boot the computer, and then try to uninstall that program.

24. Blade897

i'll try that even though i did it already... but i know it wont work. but i got CS to work maybe this will too. fingers crossed.

25. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

k man, I'm not going anywhere.

26. Blade897

nope sadly it did the same thing even with fingers crossed :( no one knows what to do noooooo. im thinking about just reformating the whole xp thanks to this stupid problem.

27. Blade897

omg i saw it when i did a safe mode it was a driver

Windows/system32/drivers/vidstub.sys

28. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

And this is the same driver you're having a problem booting with?

29. Blade897

yes should i go to safe mode with command prompt?
    the regualr one isnt working

30. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Before you do anything else... is the program associated with this driver still installed? Or is this a leftover from an uninstall?

31. Blade897

I have no clue i havent unistalled something for a while so i think its still here.

32. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

OK so don't delete it.

33. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

And this happnens when you try to boot in Safe Mode?

34. Blade897

So do you have any ideas or should i throw my computer out the window? :)

35. Blade897

yes i didnt see your other post it stays in safe mode for like 5 seconds then reboots normally.

36. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

At this point I'd just install Windows again, over the previous install. Don't format, this way it resets windows back to it's default configuration and you still keep everything that was on the drive. From there you should be able to find out if the program that was keeping you from booting is still there or not.

37. Blade897

38. Blade897

Well im going to go to bed thanks so much for the replys i really hope this isnt a memory problem ill give you a picture of this tommorrow. thanks agian i really appreciate the help you gave me.

39. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Yeah... and no one said how they uninstalled it. :\

40. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

OK man, I did some reading and it seems that BootSkin causes a huge conflict with newer versions of video drivers. I already installed my latest video driver and then installed BootSkin to see if I could replicate your problem. After choosing the skin, and restarting my machine immediately auto rebooted. When I tried to get into Safe Mode it did the same thing, after about 5 seconds it rebooted again. So I hit F8 again for Boot Options, and chose Enable VGA Mode. From there I was able to get into my Control Panel and uninstall Bootskin. Hope this works for you :)

41. Blade897

OMG dude you are the coolest ever ok i have to go but im going to do that as soon as i get hope. THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN i appreciate you staying with me. dude you are so cool thanks agian.

42. Blade897

Im back now and i tried it. It still didnt work it shut off. I dont think its bootskin though becuase i've had it for a while. This is so frustrating becuase we went to Best Buy and they said that if its a software problem its 60.00 just to see if its a software problem. In the past it has never been this way and usually these problems are software problems so im not going to pay 60.00 to see if it is a software problem. Also we asked that manager just to look at the record of my dad's file to see if we had any record of paying 60.00 but he said he wouldnt do that. So unless you guys have any more ideas im stuck.

But thanks for your help anyway especally you Iceman

43. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

It may be too late for this to help, but the option you want to use for repair comes later on in the install process. You do not want the recovery console.

At the setup screen press enter to "Set up Windows XP now". Do not press R for the recovery console at this window.

Accept the agreement and then at the next screen press R for "Repair selected Windows XP installation". Hope this helps you some.

44. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Don't give up, if you tried what ICeMaN suggested and it didn't work, some of the other geeks may have some ideas. I would wait until I heard back from ICeMaN or another member before I gave up. There are alot of smart people here, give them a chance. I still think it's BootSkin but will keep checking for you.

Steve

45. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Damn... I was sure that would work. Jamiko just posted exactly what I and MA were talking about earlier in the thread. Which is what I had to do with a bad driver install yesterday :\ I would seriously give that a try again... I still think it's your best option.

46. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

I'm an F***'in putz. Skip Step 3, Instead, press Enter at Install Windows. Youlll get the License Agreement Screen, and then it will scan your hard drives looking for an existing Installation. At this point You want the Repair Option. This is the repair process where you don't need to enter commands. I'm really sorry about all this run-around :(

47. Blade897

I didnt get what people where saying until jamiko came. I really really want to thank you guys for helping me through this problem. Im hoping now jamiko gave me a change to unistall bootskin. Thank you Jamkio, Iceman, Amjor attitude, and Mata. You guys have all helped me through this so hopefully i can give you guys a break when this is overwith. its all most donw repairing now. Thank you guys so so much.

48. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Is it too early to start rejoicing? Good deal man :D

49. Blade897

IDK i just got done repairing i hope we can rejoice :) after all the hard work u guys did we should celebrate christmas. I think i should accidently reformated it lol. Oh well who cares.
    No i didnt reformat never mind

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  50. Blade897

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES it works thank you so so so so so much. YOU GUYS R THE COOLEST. Lets rejoice and celebrate christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoooo hooooo. thank you guys so so much . the awards ceremony:

1st place Goes to: www.majorgeeks.com for having this awesome site
    tied for 1st: All the people who helped will be posted into my sig:
    Iceman,Mata,Major Attitude, and Jamiko ad if i didnt list your name Yell at me at AIM: Octaviusxs and ill put you in my signature.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds