Your Opinion Of The Paid Version Of Malwarebytes?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jek1862, May 9, 2017.

1. jek1862

jek1862 Private E-2

I chatted with them about this and it turns out that a long time back I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes on this computer which had the premium features(but I don't recall that), and she said you can't get a second trial. So I have to buy it. A friend of mine loves Malwarebytes because of all the malicious websites it alerts him to. He has never seen a piece of software do anything like this. MANY malicious websites he thought were okay were identified and avoided. I think this is an extremely good feature to purchase Malwarebytes, for this feature alone, not to mention all the other things it does in this dangerous Internet we live in and have to protect ourselves from. So I have decided to purchase the latest version for two computers. Not bad price, $25 a computer for a year for this kind of protection. I myself over the years have downloaded MANY malware software and never seen ONE that alerted me to malicious websites. I don't know what it is in Malwarebytes that they are able to pick this up on so many bad sites out there. Do you know of any comparable anti-malware software that compares to Malwarebytes as far as alerting you to malicious and dangerous websites, not to mention everything else it does? Would you recommend any other anti-malware software in addition to Malwarebytes? I don't know of any. What overall is your opinion of Malwarebytes, if you use the Premium version. I am sold on it, but would like to hear of some others' opinions of it. I can't see any cons but if you feel there are any please let me know. Thanks.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Aside from the independent tests on security software by organisations such as AV Comparatives organisation, all views of such software are completely subjective. There is no doubt MBAM is a good piece of software but since a major part of protecting a system is user behaviour, the security software is not the only part and there are many good free programs.
    I use MBAM only as a secondary scanner. Nothing convinces me to use it for its real-time protection over other suites.

3. jek1862

jek1862 Private E-2

Well, what are some free programs you recommend highly for real time protection comparable to Malwarebytes? I am looking primarily for software that will warn me of suspicious or malicious websites I visit. This MBAM seems to do very well. But if you say there are FREE programs that you know can do the very same thing then please tell me. Thanks.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

MajorGeeks has always had a 'Top Freeware' picks that includes security software, and it also has a guide to protecting your system.
    For malicious websites, Windows Smart Screen and every single principle web browser already includes such protection. Add ons for browsers that block third party ads and script (often the vehicles for malware) are also widely available.
    There has never, ever in the realm or history of personal computing been any need to actually pay for security. That's a terrible myth.
    The other myth that millions of PC users fall for is 'Security software' will always protect me. It won't. User behaviour is a substantial reason for getting malware, and is referred to in the guide I linked to above.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    imcaf_fl likes this.
  5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Nothing and no one is perfect. I have been using MBAM for years and have always liked it as a secondary scanner (which is what it's designed to be).

I do have the paid version, and it does indeed block malicious software in real time.

P.S. I got a great deal on AVG Ultimate from Fry's for my most recent renewal. $39.99 for two years, and it covers all of my devices which total 6 at the moment.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Heimdal Pro is supposed to be very good, and you might even be able to run Heimdal next to Malwarebytes. Here is some information in a thread at a security based forum:

https://malwaretips.com/threads/heimdal-pro-2-2-151-for-6-months-free.71342/page-2

You might check around to see how the reviews are for Malwarebytes 3.x. Results in tests I have seen have been poor against ransomware, which surprised me. Not sure it's the all-in-one solution yet that MBAM was going for with 3.x. Sounds like the internet protection is very good, though, so that is a huge plus.

There is more or less an ocean of info on MalwareTips.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds