Your Opinion: WHS or NAS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DIYGuy, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DIYGuy

DIYGuy Private E-2

I need to setup a network backup system and I'm looking for opinions on Windows Home Server vs. a NAS System.

The NAS I'm looking at is the Linksys NSLU2.
    If you have another NAS recommendation for a solution, (total price with drives included under $500) I'm open to suggestions.

I am a early intermediate user so please try to simplify advanced technical jargon.

The most important need (besides the obvious "backup") is this:
    I have several computers around the house. I want to have one set of folders on the network drive. I would access the files from each computer, work on them on one of the computers, then save back to the network.
    I don't want to keep files on the computers themselves.
    I will then backup the network folders to a second drive so they're safe in the event that the main drive fails.

-I know I can remotely access files with either option so this is not an issue.
    -Streaming is not important.
    -I may image a few (not all) of the drives. The largest drive I would image is 120GB.

If you need any more info, just let me know.
    Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Entry Level NAS issue is a Murky one.

You are asking which one is the Best, while these devices are actually competing on which one is the worse.

Price is starting at about $100 and you have to add a Hard Drive.

None of them really support NTFS in full, and they are very slow (the inexpensive one are rated 100Mb/sec. but really provide a rate that is similar to old 10M/sec. Network card.

To get a more decent unit you have to escalate the price to few hundred $$$.

On the other hand if you have, or can get, or build yourself, an humble computer that is about the level of P-III-1GHz, and add to it Windows Home server OS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116395

You might spend about the same and get a better NAS with many features that are Not in existence in any of the Entry Level stand alone NAS'.

So Best? No best, just few variables that would help you to think and hopefully reach to a conclusion that suits you.

Windows Home Server can do a lot more than simple NAS.

If you have few Drives, (any kind any size can be mixed) it automatically make them appear as one cohesivedrive called WHS.

It can do auto mirroring and back up too.

Ready for HTTP and FTP servers with certificate for SSL connection (the certificate is provided with the trial version).

Provides Dynamic DNS, your_name.homeserver.com that registered when you set up the server. It is free service from Microsoft.

I.e. No need for Hamachi, Go to my PC, LogMeIn, DyDNS, or any other service that does you a favor and can shift from free to pay or partial pay when they want to.

Windows Home Server 120 days trial can be obtained from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/eval.mspx

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Or you can set up a simple NAS with an old box & FreeNAS or Server Elements NAS lite (Better). For backup automation I use Cobain backup I have used WHS & unless its been fixed lately it throws a few hard drive errors because of some weird disk mirroring it does. I have even tried those NetGear toasters but you have to install software on each PC to connect to it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds