Your thoughts on a RAM CPU combo...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snuffles, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Snuffles

Snuffles Private First Class

I have an ABIT KD7A mobo that supports Socket A up to 333 fsb, and also supports up to PC-3200 RAM. Now, I am planning on upgrading to 64-bit once PCI express is stable in a few years, so keeping that in mind, what would you suggest I bought memory wise. I know that the Buss Speed of the CPU and the RAM are best if they are the same, but I was wondering if I should just buy the PC-3200, or save some money and get the 333 speed RAM. Also, here is a rough outline of my system as I want it to be after I build it.

- AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    - 1 Gig RAM
    - Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB 256 bit graphics card
    - DVD reader
    - CD RW
    (Also brings up another question, should I get a DVD reader and a CD burner, or just a DVD burner)
    - 80 - 120 gigs HD

Also, anyone have a reasonably priced surround sound or 2.1 system they could recommend (around 100 dollars or less)

2. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

logitech sells cheap 2.1 systems, i got 1 and it was like $50-$60 and it sounds really nice, of course if u do buy for $100 it will sound better, but the ones i got are great and for that price i am very very satisfied

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I would get an XP 3000+ or 3200+ with the 400MHz FSB. Otherwise your PC3200 will be running at PC2700 speeds.

4. Snuffles

Cept the problem is that my mobo only has a 333 fsb

5. TheFrostyOne

TheFrostyOne Private E-2

I got the Logitech Z2200 for 105 at Amazon. These are some really good 2.1 speakers. Dont take my word for it google Logitech Z2200 reviews and I"m sure u'll find great reviews about them. Here a review that shows u pics of it and the duh review http://www.bit-tech.net/review/282/

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Then why pay for PC3200 when PC2700 will work just fine? Your next PC will probably have DDR2...

7. Snuffles

That sounds about right, in a year or two DDR 3200 is gonna suxxors, so since I already have that planned upgrade, PC 2700 is the way to go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds