Youtube/Flash videos and XP screensaver

Discussion in 'Software' started by SCy2j, Apr 12, 2011.

1. SCy2j

SCy2j Private E-2

I just reformatted my PC and found a rather annoying problem. Previously when I watched youtube videos my screensaver wouldn't start which I liked, but after the reformat, now the screensaver would start regardless, I couldn't find any settings or configs that deal with this, so I'm hoping someone here can help. Both OS is Windows XP from the same disk.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Oh yeah, both browsers are the same version of Firefox.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your XP at? if not at SP3 then worth an update of the Service Pack.

In Display Options (right click and choose Properties then Screensaver) and in the screensave dropdown choose [none] and apply, disables the screensaver perminently.

3. SCy2j

SCy2j Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply. Yup, it is SP3 but I don't want to shutoff the screensaver permanently as I have to re-enable it everytime after browsing. I'm just stumped that with practically identical settings and everything else the screensaver is acting differently.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Ah ok, try this then and you may need to fiddle with the timings to get it right, open the Screensaver properties up again and you should see a Wait Time, see if setting it to 1 helps or the opposite in a longer time 20mins say.

Is your Adobe Flashplayer the latest version?
    I was thinking as its browser based in watching youtube is that adobe flash would have some settings, it does but nothing for screensaver sadly.

This app can stop start the screensaver when you need it or not, Caffiene

Just been watching a youtube video in XP SP3 with IE9 and Firefox 4.2 and screensaver was set to 10mins and didnt kick in, so kinda stumped for now.

5. SCy2j

SCy2j Private E-2

Found out the reason, Adobe Flash was an older version; updated it and the screensaver didn't start at all when the browser is streaming videos. Thanks alot!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds