ZA Users: Two (Possibly) Big Things About New ZA, ZA+, ZAP 4.5.x

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

1. The new program doesn't use the zonealarm.exe file in the program folder as its main executable, but in the ZA Programs control list, you'll find only the zonealarm.exe file. It can't hurt and might help to use the Add button and add the new main executable, zlclient.exe, to your control list, and leave it with two left-side blue question marks and two right-side red Xs, just as you have (or should have) the zonealarm.exe set.

2. The dsl forum thread posted (see Jabman in the New ZoneAlarm Version thread) here is worth a close read. It has gone on for quite a while, and I'm not sure that Jabman had seen the latest posts when he posted here. It turns out that using the method recommended by ZA to stop the Autoupdate results in a new nag window every session, asking for permission to phone home. The Autoupdate is still firing once in every boot, in other words, but it's now asking for permission to phone home.

I don't like that one bit. My NO means NO.

Below is a slightly revised version of the fix posted on the dsl forum (which was taken from another forum -- unnamed). I've tried it and it not only works to stop the nags, but it also adds a line to the ZA control panels (Preferences) IN PLACE OF "Automatic updates are enabled for your own protection":

UPDATE CHECKS HAVE BEEN SET TO MANUAL.

When I had followed the instructions, then restarted ZA, and then found the new line, I tried the manual Update Check, and it works perfectly, although the servers are extremely busy and it may take a few tries to get in.

Disconnect from the Net (Unplug)
    CLOSE ZA (setting won't take if you don't)
    In Reg Editor, go to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm
    (EDIT ADDED: Back up your ZoneAlarm key for complete safety before proceeding)
    Click the ZoneAlarm key once to open it
    Double-click CfgMain (in the right-hand pane) to open a panel
    Down-arrow to the 0028 line
    Right-arrow 5 times, to the right of the 01
    Hit Backspace
    Now type 00 (that's two zeros, not two ohs)
    Click OK (to close that panel)
    Close Reg Editor
    Restart ZoneAlarm
    Reconnect (replug)

Check for the MANUAL setting in the Preferences panel.

(Note: Somebody from ZA showed up and howled about this on the dsl forum. You might want to read the howl and the replies.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  2. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

A small postscript to the instructions above, since no one here has replied or reported:

Over on the dslreports forum, all of the reports from ZA users who have tried the registry edit above are POSITIVE. Nobody has complained of any subsequent problem. I, myself, have computed, surfed, e-mailed, and generally tested my machine fairly widely since I used the tweak, and everything seems fine.

Most importantly, though, ZA is still working perfectly, and the log is slowly filling with blocked incoming and outgoing attempts, as usual.

I still will keep my exported ZoneAlarm key for a day or two, JIC, but I think this tweak is a winner. I recommend it to all users who don't like permitting programs to phone home or autoupdate whenever they want to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds