Zen Avg Version. Repost From Cnet

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by dkgoodwin, Apr 7, 2017.

1. dkgoodwin

dkgoodwin Private First Class

Looks like I have an XP machine that got this. It presents itself as an update for AVG users. - didn't find anything here about it. So thought I'd repost for my buddies here. Can't open explorer to show much, even running a DVD is interfered with.

-------------------
    Repost from cnet:

AVG ZEN - WARNING
    by Thinktank787 / January 20, 2016 7:07 AM PST

AVG ZEN Warning. I like probably of many of you cannot at this time afford a Security Suite so I read some reviews and decided (poorly) to install AVG 'Free Scan' BUT it came with ZEN. No problem I thought, OH was I wrong. AVG do not have an available tool to uninstall this Errr..'programme' shall we call it. Even their support Tech guy who has just been remotely on my computer CANNOT uninstall it. Days I've been trying to do this on my own and following various red herrings of advice. No the programme is obstinately refusing to uninstall until it says that I remove AVG PC Tune UP which I'd already done. Apparently AVG according to the Tech are having rather a lot of consumer complaints relating to this issue. I told him that there should be a RED warning sign against this download because the result of our conversation was that for £80 AVG can clean up my old computer or I can take it to a fix it shop, like so many other people are doing apparently. So as for ZEN we are now apparently married (catholic style) so no divorce on the cards and we didn't even have a prenup! Is it any wonder people end up using suspicious uninstallers/divorce lawyers?..I am so angry. This is the first forum I have ever joined, that shows how angry I am and I opted for the US edition so hopefully a wider audience?..I was very good and I didn't use any curse words it's sooo unbelievable. By the way what is a programme called that cannot be removed? think it begins with T. Any one out there with answer would be helpful

2. dkgoodwin

update, looks like the laptop I got with this little ditty on it, completely crashed the computer, can't get it to boot with a rescue disk or from rescue on a usb. Tried safe mode before that wouldn't boot at all, just stuck in a loop. So I suggest all you AVG users out there beware and maybe uninstall it now, as this Zen thing is attached to the newest update from AVG. It is now a push install since midnight 04/06/2017.

3. dkgoodwin

Another friend brought me her laptop. It had the Zen included update waiting for its chance to snag her computer. I was able to stop that and uninstalled AVG in general. However, Zen stuck. I had to run it down and hand delete the folder. Then I ran ccleaner to get rid of the residual strings in the registry and there were about a dozen. 64 bit Win7 machine.. folder and file location with the zen monster waiting to pounce is at c:\program file (x86)\Framework\common\avguix.exe/zen.open.ui (yes the last one is a forward slash)

Nick T likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds