Zone Alarm Alert

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jud149, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Since installing the latest version of ZA, I keep getting the following alert:
    "ICMP Echo Request (ping)" which is being blocked bty ZA. Is this something I should continue to block or allow?

2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

In my opinion unless you are part of a network, I would continue to block.

This article may help you decide: http://carolinanet.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=70

Zone Alarm is a good firewall, but when I used ZA free version, I noticed many attempted hits on my PC. I was amazed at how many there were daily. Funny, but when I switched to Kerio4 firewall the hits dwindled to about nothing. It's almost as if ZA want's to make you think it's working overtime to protect your system. I have read in other forums of folks who feel the same way about ZA.

As I stated before, ZA is a good firewall, but I would take with a grain of salt all the stuff it lists as blocking.

If one doesn't know what is trying to connect to or "ping" their system, better to be safe than sorry and continue blocking.

This of course is just my opinion.

3. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I'm going to let ZA block it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info,

4. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

5. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

6. pipamoz

pipamoz Private E-2

I'm pretty sure this is normal behaviour...
    choose to continue blocking but also click the remember this setting (or similar) ie 'always block' depending on which version you are running.

7. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the input!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds