Zone Alarm and SP 3

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jess, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jess

Jess Private E-2

I just got around to installing Service Pack 3 for Windows XP on my laptop (Dell Inspiron). I had problems with the install on my desktop so I uninstalled AVG and Zone Alarm before installing SP 3 on my laptop. The SP 3 install went smoothly and I then reinstalled AVG and Zone Alarm. However, it seems as though Zone Alarm is now preventing me from connecting to the internet, even though the appropriate accesses have been granted within the program. The only way I can connect to the internet now is to turn Zone Alarm off. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any ideas how to make Zone Alarm a functional firewall again that allows me access to the internet?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Other workarounds that are filtering out are to uninstall KB951748 which is the critical update, until Checkpoint ZA fix this and issue an update, causing this or reduce your setting in ZA Internet Zone to medium temporarily until fixed, if you're behind a routers NAT or SPI firewalls then your as ok as you can be.

The setting the slider for ZA Internet Zone to medium or using the 1st fix above in post #2 are what I would concider best options as updates to the TCP Stack are crucial security ones.

Users of Vista/SP1 with ZA are unaffected.

4. Jess

Jess Private E-2

Thanks very much, Halo.

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

No wait! New, updated versions of all ZoneAlarm's Firewalls and other programs are available for download at the company's homepage. Happened just a few hours ago. Link here. I hope you see this post in time. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds