Zone alarm cache cleaner settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by ramage316, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I have ZASS version 6.1.

The cache cleaner ran for the first time automatically and it ended up deleting all my documents, my music etc from XP. What setting should i have ticked to stop this happening again? I ran CCleaner and the same thing happened.

This is a schoolboy error i know, but can anyone give me a dummy introduction? Thanks:rolleyes:

2. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

1. Double-click the "ZA" icon on your taskbar.
    2. Click "Privacy" in the left pane of the "ZoneAlarm Pro" window that appears.
    3. Click the "Cache Cleaner" tab.
    4. untick the "CLick cache Automatically every:"

CCLEANER
    on Cleaner Settings (main window)
    On "Internet Explorer"
    untick the
    "Last Download Location"
    untick the "Advance" box

click "OPTION" Left panel
    then click Advance
    untick the first 2 box

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  3. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Yes, but how do I continue to use the ZA cleaner without deleting my personal files?

I'd like to know the same for ccleaner. thanks

4. infoseeker

okey try to uninstall and reinstall the ZA
    and dont change anything in the default of "PRIVACY" tab of ZA

but better use CCLEANER
    and also this
    CCleaner
    Will clean temp files and cookies plus it will clean your regisrtry, do when cleaning the registry choose to save what its about to remove, you are given the choice in a popup message before the old registry files ( keys ) are removed.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Not sure if all versions of ZoneAlarm have this, ZA Security Suite and ZA Pro do, but on the Privacy->Cache Cleaner tab, there is a custom button, which allows you to select folders.

BTW, it doesn't delete music files or documents, only history and temp files.

6. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Trust me. Once ZA cache cleaner had finished, I lost tonnes of music and files. Everything contained within My Documents. I'm almost 100% sure that the boxes ticked were the default settings as follows...

ticked - clean recycle bin
    ticked - clean temp files directory
    ticked - clean windows scandisk file fragments

7. infoseeker

for your security i can say dont use the ZA Privacy->Cache Cleaner tab
    you have CCleaner
    and add this also
    Cleanup

8. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I'll happily ignore the ZA cache cleaner and just use CCleaner, but as i said in my original post, CCleaner also deleted all my personal files. I ran it with the default settings. Is there something I should untick to avoid this again?

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You may have account corruption as ZoneAlarm and CCleaner don't normally target My Documents.

The only setting I'm aware of in CCleaner that can do this is in the Custom section, if My Documents has been added, for example.

Even then, it should only delete temp files etc.

Anyway, try creating another account and see if it does the same thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds