Zone Alarm won't let me on the net

Discussion in 'Software' started by REengineer, May 4, 2005.

1. REengineer

REengineer Private E-2

I have just finished an extensive spyware removal process with the help of chaslang on the spyware forum. My computer is now free of spyware, but I think there are some residual effects, and chaslang suggested I try the software forum. One of the things I did was install Zone Alarm. But I cannot get on the internet unless I shut down ZA. I am pretty sure I have it configured correctly. I have attached a screenshot of the program control page.

ZA is blocking outgoings to 10.0.0.2 and 192.168.254.98. I don't know what they are. It is blocking incoming from 192.168.1.100 which is my other computer. I have that IP address set as trusted on the Firewall page. Actually, I have the range from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.120 set as trusted. I have attached a screen shot of that page also.

I was told that I should not run ZA and Windows Firewall at the same time. The problem is that I cannot disable Windows Firewall. The ON and OFF buttons are grayed out. At the top it says, "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy". Well, I'm not part of a group. I have my own little home network with a Linksys 2.4Ghz 802.11b wireless router. My computer is a Dell Latitude D600 laptop, Pentium M 1.6 Ghz, 384 MB of RAM. I'm running Windows XP-SP2. My other computer is a Pentium 2 running Windows 98 SE. That one seems fine. I have AVG anti virus running on both systems.

The other thing is I can't access Windows Automatic Updates. Those buttons are grayed out too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Can you not log into windows as administrator, in order to access all windows features?? Or are you just one station out of a group that are all connected to the server?? If so...you will have to run that one by the system administrator!!

However...It does sound like the two Firewalls clashing could possibly be your problem!!

Roger

3. REengineer

REengineer Private E-2

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am logged on with administrator privileges, and the areas are still grayed out.

As I mentioned, this is just my home network. Two computers. My laptop with the problem, and my Windows 98 desktop. Connected with a linksys 802.11b router.

4. foot loose

foot loose Private E-2

to save all the bother... why don't you uninstall zone alarm and use a different firewall like sygate or somthing ;)

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

How does that help?

Any post could be answered "use this program or operating system instead" to "save all the bother".

6. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Try disabling windows firewall through gpedit.msc.

Go to start -> run -> type "gpedit.msc"

Then in the application window on the left, double click on computer configuration to expand the selections, then administrative templates, then network, then network connections, then windows firewall. Double click on the domain profile folder and in the right hand window, double click on "windows firewall: protect all network connections". Set this to disabled. Then double click on the standard profile folder right below the domain profile folder on the left and disable the same setting. Restart and see if windows firewall is still enabled.

7. REengineer

REengineer Private E-2

I got this when I try to run gpedit.msc:

MMC cannot open the file c:\WINDOWS\system32\gpedit.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds