zonealarm constantly scans or updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by zamorazeke, Dec 5, 2012.

1. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Hi to y'all from a true fan of the majorgeeks forums. :)

I've been using zonealarm for a long time (Windows XP Home Edition), but zonealarm changes (some good, some bad in my view) have prompted me to seek input on possible alternatives.

Other threads haven't addressed the issue I'm concerned with, I think.

Zonealarm has options to adjust scan and update intervals -- which I have tried to adjust, to no avail. Perhaps I'm not doing it right...

It seems whenever I am trying to do something on the computer zonealarm begins either a scan or an update and hogs memory. It seems (almost) to be one of those programs lacking in "social skills," one of the kids on the school ground that doesn't get along with others, bordering on being a bully (lol). :p

Is there an alternative, perhaps with a smaller footprint that is less intrusive, less demanding of intervention/management, more efficient/effective in doing what this type of program is supposed to do? :confused

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and recommendations pertaining to this request.

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I used to be a big fan of ZA but went sour on it for resaons relating to memory usage and ease of use.

These days my Win machines are protected by my router/modem (which uses Stateful Packet Inspection SPI), and the standard Windows software firewall. If I need to open a port, it is a rather uncomplicated affair. Between these two defenses and good internet habits, I really don't have problems. If I am unsure as to a website or a software package, I run them through Virus Total https://www.virustotal.com/

If I'm not buying software direct from a vendor, I'm getting it here at Major Geeks. I also don't work in an elevated account for routine business. Good habits are often under-rated as a part of a layered defense...

I also use a few anti-malware products and follow the tips in the Tips at: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

3. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Hi cipher,

Thank you for your response and explanation of how you handle security, etc. sans ZA.

That gives me some direction in which, hopefully, to pursue some changes that will make/keep the computer relatively secure without a "security guard" (namely, zonealarm) whose overwhelming presence is more of an imposition than it should be.

Have a happy holiday season, and thanks again! :wave

4. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

My pleasure. I'm certain you'll find the "tips section" a real treasure trove, I know I do.

Hopefully some other geeks will weigh in... :tas

Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday as well...

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi zamorazeke.
    Many of us are MG fans as well.

cipher's link to the Malware Protection Guide is a real treasure.

Lately the most popular free antivirus software here is Avast and Avira.

My opinion is that Avast is easier to use but Avira typically does a little better with detection.
    Either should use less resources than ZA.

6. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Thanks for your input, mjnc,

I'm thinking seriously of trying out Avira in hopes of being able to spend more time on normal tasks, rather than "monitoring" the "monitor," as it seems is the case with Zonealarm. :-D

Happy Holidays :wave

7. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

I am very satisfied using IObit's Advanced System Care with Anti-Virus, along with MS Fire Wall. I did use ZoneAlarm for years until their last iteration. I had the same problem as do you.

Bubba Euler

8. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Thanks ever so much to all of you for your help thus far. :)

To update, I have IoBit's Advanced System Care, and I have purchased and installed the Avast package.

Long story short, resources are being conserved MUCH MORE since deep-sixing Zonealarm. Can't believe how much difference the changes have made. ;)

One thing that puzzles me now is how to get Avast to screen my email when downloading it to Outlook Express.

Attached are copies of the Avast message screens received when 1) initially (first time) downloading emails to Outlook Express, and 2) when my wife was responding to (sending back) an email we had received.

Unfortunately I don't know how to (according to the attached screen shots):

"...disable SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the [Avast] Mail Scanner can scan your mail. The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself."

I will be ever so grateful to anyone who reads this and can tell me the (probably elementary) method for disabling the SSL/TLS in Outlook Express. :wave

Attached Files:

9. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

I am answering my own question in the last post...

Sorry!!!

I did a little research and found out how to make the adjustments to email accounts in Outlook Express that allow Avast to scan received email. :cool

Thanks again for all the help. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds