ZoneAlarm Free, Nagware!

Discussion in 'Software' started by housiemousie2, Apr 10, 2007.

1. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

Every time I start my machine I am getting a nag screen from ZoneAlarm!

The systray icon for ZA is not loaded until after the nag screen is dealt with.

Is this nag screen JUST effecting the systray icon, or is ZA not loaded until the nag is dealt with?

I turn on my computer and walk away to get my drink or whatever... my computer is always online... as long as it has power. I'd hate th think my firewall is not loaded, my computer exposed and ZA is getting their jollies through a damned nag screen.

Is it or is it not protected before the nag is dealt with and how do I get rid of the damned nag without having to give them money?

2. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Ive got ZA free too, and dont get this nag screen. I got it first time I ever loaded the new version that was it. I think there must be a way to turn it off or something?

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

I don't get a nag screen either. I'm not at that pc now so can't check, but there must be a setting to turn it off.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You can access the user manuals for Zone Alarm firewall by following this link. With any luck, instructions for turning the nag screen off should be included here.

5. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

Thanks Mada Milty, even if it doesn't contain the much sought information... I had not ever gotten a users guide for ZA. lol I have been using it for YEARS. lol
    I know the usual configuration settings very well, lol, nothing new there.
    It is either on the nag itself, or it doesn't exist.
    Thanks.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What version of ZA are you using? And are you using XP or Vista?

I have used most versions (Free), up to my current version.

ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000

No troubles with nag screens on any version, that I can remember.confused
    I haven't installed the latest version, as yet, as it is too big to download on dialup. :cry :( Bazza

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Look in msconfig, startup tab for the ZA entry that corresponds to the gentle reminder roller you referred to. Find it by stopping each ZA entry until you find the GRR.
    Then swat it in the registry, if you can't simply untick the show splash screen at startup in prefernces.

HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run or runonce

Greetings from the land of cheese and cider

Studio T

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Are we certain that the nag screen isn't part of the program itself?

If so, we do NOT want to disable it! Security apps should be running all the time.

9. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I am running ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000 (the newest one) and as I said I have no nag screen and no problems with it.
    I honestly cant remember if I switched it off myself somehow or it stopped coming on itself. I definately never edited the registry myself unless CCleaner or JV PowerTools switched it off somehow? I doubt it though.
    It can definately be stopped somehow.

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

perhaps I've had too much of that cheese and cider but I could have sworn I posted to disable the nag from the program options.
    This is always the best way forward, but push technology adverts should be swatted if necessary. I believe I also outlined a test procedure to check on your worries, Mada.

"Oh and by the way" "this splash advert always comes up when I start - I can't seem to stop it -- Is there any way you can get rid of it?"

This happens in at least 60% of the callouts I receive; the callout being for another cause entirely.

Studio T

11. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

Thanks ya'll.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, or in this case intensely annoyed scrutiny.

XP Home
    ZoneAlarm version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000

Kind of odd... but somehow normal in the realm of my computing experiences... after having dealt with the nag for week, shortly after I began looking for an answer online, it decided to stop being a butt all by itself.

There was no option in ZA or on the nag screen to stop the sucker, so I am glad that after MANY restarts, it finally got a clue that when I hit NO I actually meant it... and yes, I tried hitting YES a few times too.

But all's well that ends well.

Thanks again for all of your help! I have taken notes... just in case it changes it's mind... again. lol

12. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

Unrelated topic:

BigBazza... Can I get a copy of your avatar? My Dad is a serious science and computer geek, he would LOVE it.

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's part of MG's avatar selection, page 5. I believe you can copy it but I'm not sure.

14. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

lol Nevermind... I got the thing to finally save as a moving image and not a still. But if you have a larger version..? Hee hee hee

15. rayzur

rayzur Private First Class

Hi bigbazza, I have dialup too. ( I live out in the country & not ready to shell out the $ for wireless ) Anyway, I downloaded the new version with my download manager- "Free Download Manager", found here>
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Free_Download_Manager_d4546.html

Just download it before you go to bed at night & if you loose your connection it is no problem, it will auto resume. Actually I have downloaded "Open Office" too, which is nearly 100mb.s.:wave

16. bigbazza

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have never left my PC on while I am not close by, going back over 20 years. Just a personal foible of mine. ;)

I live in a Cyclone (Hurricane) prone area in the season, and am not willing to risk a lightning strike through the power or the phone lines.

I even disconnect power and phone input from my Laptop every time I logoff.

Over the top, I can hear people say.
    My reply " Different strokes for different folks".:D

Bazza

===

17. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Confucious he say "Bazza Him Velly Wise Geek"

Confucious has dealt first hand with the results of lightning strikes on Telephone, TV apparatus through their inputs. Scary.

He also say he see equally bad damage through reflections through grounding connections.

He also say Happy Birthday Bazza, respectfully late of course.

Studio T

18. bigbazza

LMAO at studiot and Confucious sayings.:major :) ;)
    Velly wise man, that Confucious. :D

Bazza

===

19. JeffUK

JeffUK Private E-2

Sorry to resurect the thread; but I just solved this and as this post came up on google when I was looking for an answer, many weary travellers might pass through here.

In safe mode (as zonealarm seems to protect it's registry keys by holding them open, even if you untick 'protect zonealarm client', and even if you close ZA.. so start without it running, safe mode is easiest)

Load regedit, Then set the following key to 0
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm]
    "RunUpsellNotice"

Seems to have worked so far, don't know if it might reset itself at somepoint, so might be worth monkeying with the permissions on this key :) also, I dont pretend to imply that this won't break zonealarm and cause your computer to get infected with bots which eventually become 'SKYNET' and end up with the governator killing your mum. ALSO, only tested in v 8.x

Jeff...

20. hamhox

hamhox Private E-2

Don't apologize!! I've been needing this info for many,
    many years. It feels REAL GOOD to be able to get rid of the ZA nag screen! I had to change the registry keys a couple of times, at least once as admin and also as user, and after several restarts, the beast is GONE!! Hallelujah!!
    This is on a Windows 2000 machine I'm building for a colleague.
    Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Eric

21. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hello,

I know that this thread is solved and all, but I just thought I would mention that we are missing some more obvious options here, like changing to a different firewall, such as Comodo, which has no nag screens at all as it is completely freeware.

Please note I am not affiliated with Comodo in any way nor am I advertising for them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds