ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Discussion in 'Software' started by phoenix182, Apr 30, 2007.

1. phoenix182

phoenix182 Private E-2

Hi,

My paid subscription to McAfee Internet Security Suite is almost up so I'm looking for a new one that wont slow my computer down as much but I still want the same level of protection that McAfee gives me.

Just wondering if anyone has used the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and if so what do you think of it? I don't mind paying for a subscription, I just don't want to pay for a years worth and end up with a crap product :)

Thanks

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

FYI I have heard that Zone Alarm and Vista don't play well together, I thought you might want to know that.

later.

3. phoenix182

phoenix182 Private E-2

Thanks guys, I'm running XP on my laptop so I figured I'd give the ZoneAlarm Secuirty Suite a go with the free trial then buy it after the 15 days if its good.

I also have the webroot spysweeper and windows washer installed on my computer - is this necessary with ZA secuirty suite or should I get rid of it?

Thanks

4. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

the best ( ie fastest setup ) i have found was zone alarm (free or pro) for the fire wall and Nod32 for the antivirus, if you need a little help setting up nod32 there are places to find info (just use google ) its really not that hard ( but that's the biggest complaint-that Nod32 is complicated ) anyway that's what I recommend.:)

5. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

You are best to have 1 AntiVirus - AVG Free is good or avast! Free (use only 1)

Also you need a firewall - like ZoneAlarm Free (use only 1)

Also you should get some sort of spyware protection (use upto 2, but 1 is sufficient)

Windows firewall is crap, once you have another firewall, you wont need to use it.
    The 3 programs i mentioned i have used and reccomend.

This link will let you know whats free and safe to use here on MGs.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Also here is a link to the MG in depth guide to protecting yourself online.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

You will find a lot of the FREE stuff is just as good as the commercial stuff available. I read about this in one of my computer mags.

Hope this helps you ;)

6. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Id go with Zone Alarm, purely because all the mags i read say its the best. But I suppose thats personal opinion.

You will have no problems with AVG and that.

Just one thing to note, when you first install Zone Alarm it will have to get used to your software so you will have a lot of popups asking should this program go on the internet and should this program access that. Its just to learn what programs should safely be doing what.I would look at the instructions or tutorial.

If you get stuck using the program just post back. ;)

7. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

If i was you id do everything Chaslang has told you to do exactly (as he is a real expert!) before anything else.

Im far far from an expert, I just try to share what i have learned off here, or from personal experience. Because generally people on here help me a lot. Its good to share your knowledge, eh?!

Anyway, do what youve been told, trust me the guy knows his stuff!

And then your good to go with ZA.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds