ZoneAlarm issues + why bad rating? Best free alternative?

Discussion in 'Software' started by On edge, Nov 11, 2008.

1. On edge

On edge Corporal

ZoneAlarm problems (v7):

1. The 'Program Control' function (see attached pic) is not flexible enough for my taste. In particular, it picks up too many entries, often setup files that I only run once, and it's time consuming to edit because you cannot, or at least I don't know how, to sort entries by when they were added, or by other criteria. After installing a new program I'd like to see the entries ZA has picked up for it without having to go through ZA's whole program control list. I'd also like to see more info about the entries, and have more options for them. For example, I'd like to see if the file responsible for the entry still exists, and to have the option to open the folder containing it. Or better yet, I'd like invalid entries to be removed automatically.

2. I recently started using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), but it only works if I turn-off ZA on the host computer. (I added the Client IP to host computer's trusted IPs list, but that wasn't enough).

On the other hand: It's free and has served me decently for the past year or two. Has program control, has IP control, logs entry attempts, etc.

Question:
    Should I just update to v8, or would Online Armor, or some other free firewall from MG serve my needs better [i.e. better program/IP control, maintain log files, etc.]

I'm considering a change because ZA got such crap overall rating on MG, but wanted a second opinion since I already have ZA configured to my preferences within my ability to configure it...

Attached Files:

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, I gave the new ZA a crap rating when they bundled it back in beta stage after using it for 5 yrs. So I went with PCTools FW and I now have it on Vista. If you feel comfortable with ZA then why change? I keep a FW for things that want to call home and thankfully everything's still fine.;)

3. oma

oma MajorGeek

Here's a link that may help you in selecting the firewall you would like. http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php#firewalls-ratings

Here are some free ones available as well: http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Personally, I did find Comodo Pro free too cumbersome for me (although it rated among the very best) and changed to Online Armor which is better suited for me and is also excellent. A new version came out recently. If you prefer the free version of it scroll down till you find it. https://www.tallemu.com/downloads.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds