ZONEALARM vs PC FIREWALL ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by me-again, Mar 27, 2007.

1. me-again

me-again Private E-2

Hey...
    I'm still having all kinds of problems with slowness, and more...have done clean ups, etc recc. by MG's -- need to load a Good FIREWALL and shutdown the useless Windows FW -- anybody tell me if I should use ZoneAlarm vs the new PC Firewall?

I am about to do the whole enchilada with the MG recc MAlware removal and need to download the firewall now.

I haven't enjoyed my computer much since getting it thanks to 'intruders'!

Thanks--ANYONE.
    B.

2. Marshaz

Marshaz Private E-2

Download COMODO Firewall Pro which is Free. Much better than either of the other 2 in my opinion.

3. me-again

me-again Private E-2

tHANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY...I'll look at it too.
    B.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You also need an anti-virus like AVG or AVAST! and spyware programs like SpywareGuard and Spyware Blocker. You can find them at the main page at MGs

5. me-again

me-again Private E-2

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I have decided to go with ZoneAlarm. Best feedback. Wish me luck on setup.

I do have AVG Spyware & Virus; Spybot, Spyware Doctor, and AD-Adware SE.

I downloaded RegSeeker.exe, FileAlyzer, and SophieRootkit to see what these can do too.

Just in looking at MG's clean-up instructions and doing the first steps, I already see I have problems...maybe bigtime. I doubt I am the one to fix them.

Thanks a million you guys!!!!!!
    B.

6. shattered.likeness

shattered.likeness Private E-2

Here's another helpful tip:
    1. Start by running CCleaner

2. Then run Spybot Search and Destroy.

3. Install AVAST! anti-virus free edition.

4. After it loads, click the menu button on the top left corner(arrow pointing up) and select "Schedule Boot-Time Scan...". Once that loads, check "scan archive files". Then go into the advanced options and set the first box to "Delete infected file" and the second one to "Allow delete or move". A confirmation box will come up and select allow. Then let it restart your computer.

This will take about 2 hours or more depending on the size of your hard drive.

Now let me explain:
    AVAST!'s boot-time scan scans every file on your disk, before Windows and viruses have a chance to startup. I have tested several AV software, with known viruses on my PC, AVAST! is the only one that found all traces of viruses, including a few that I didn't know were there.

From my experience, and the experience of the number one PC repair service in Western NC, this should solve your problems.

After the scan, I always defragment my drive(s) and run a registry cleaner. This keeps my PC running in top shape.

7. i-CONICA

i-CONICA Private E-2

i agree that za is best, not out yet for vista which is a shame, but my top free security softwares are:

avg free av
    avg free as
    ad-aware se personal
    spybot search and destroy
    zone alarm free
    spyware blaster

run them all weekly and for god sake keep them updated! :major i-CONICA :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds