ZoneAlarm woes

Discussion in 'Software' started by comperroruter, Jan 5, 2006.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

Good morning all:

I posted about this before but I cannot seem to find that thread. I believe that my problem is related to ZoneAlarm's lock down feature. I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite by the way.
    I generally turn the internet lock on when I leave for work in the morning or go to bed at night. When I get home or get up and get on the computer the first thing I see is the "Network connection is disabled" icon on the system tray. I disengage the ZoneAlarm lock and try to connect to the internet and get the "www.whyme.com cannot be found" error. I go to Control Panel, Network connections, right click, and then repair the connection. All is well after that. I can remember a time when I did not have this problem. It only started after I moved my computer from one room to another. Any ideas on how to stop this.
    I can understand that programs try to access the internet when I have the lock on (AV etc.) but I should not have to repair my network connection each time I turn the lock off. I googled to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Windows XP 2
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    Cable Internet from Comcast

:)

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Hi buddy.

I do the same as you, but it doesn't create problems and I don't have to repair the connection.

Have you ever been to this "www.whyme.com" site or in any way involved?

Have you checked program control listings in ZoneAlarm?

Have you emptied your temp folders?

3. comperroruter

Hey man,
    I am not as savvy as I may first appear to be:confused:. What confuses me most is that I have not changed any program settings within ZoneAlarm from before I moved my system. Would there be a difference in having a static and fixed IP address that could cause this to happen? I would think that ZoneAlarm stopping the connection should not result in it needing to be repaired each time I unlock it. I have not tried emptying my temp folders, I will do that.
    What I do not understand is why my computer would think the connection is disabled when I engage the internet lock. Which programs should be allowed to access the internet? I do not have anything automatically updating (I check windows daily) so the only things that should be accessing the internet would be ZoneAlarm and nothing else. I assuming the disabled icon will only appear if something tries to access the internet and cannot. I would hate to have to call Comcast's "stellar" customer service. By stellar I mean really out there, not good performance.

Thanks for the help bro.:)

4. Insomniac

No, having a static or dynamic IP address should make no difference.

Do you know this site or ever been there etc?

It's almost impossible to tell you which programs should be allowed access as I don't know what you have listed.

ZoneAlarm is pretty good and configures itself usually.

I would also do a search for this site on your PC. Make sure you have hidden files and folders showing.

Uninstalling and reinstalling ZA may also help, but that should really be a last resort.

5. comperroruter

It is the warning that comes when I do not have an internet connection. I think I was not clear, apologies. I cannot connect to any site, so somehow my connection is being disabled when I use the internet lock. Nothing internet related can happen until I repair it. I assume it is because of ZoneAlarm since it only happens when I use the ZoneAlarm lock. I am going to leave it unlocked today when I go to work and see if it happens without ZoneAlarm being locked.

6. Insomniac

I understand exactly what you are saying.

You are using ZA to lock the connection, then when it's re-enabled, you get that error and have to repair the connection.

That website is linked to the error, that's why I asked you about it.

Try the things I suggested, and if not, post back.

7. comperroruter

But the network connection disabled icon is there before I even open firefox. Every site I try to link to gives me the error. I always come here first, no luck. Then I try KoL, no luck. Then I try the MG main page, no luck. I try Lycos, no luck. I run CCleaner almost everyday (cant stand the thought of old files and crap being on my system). I regularly scan for spy/ad ware and viruses, so I am sure it is not that. In CCleaner I have MG and other sites saved so that I do not have to sign in each time I arrive (KoL, MG, Lycos, Microsoft, etc.)

What could disable my network connection?

Have to head to the grind, I will check back in when I get there.

Thanks man!

8. Insomniac

You say it happens when you lock it via ZoneAlarm, so for some reason ZA is not releasing the network when you unlock it.

And it gives you that website whyme.com, so do a search on your PC as I instructed.

9. comperroruter

No, I apologize, "whyme" is just an example name. Any website I try to go to, for example; forum.majorgeeks.com gives me the message "cannot connect to server at forum.majjorgeeks.com" or something like that. whyme was only an example name. It is still early, my brain is waking up slowly.
    I agree with you whole heartedly that ZoneAlarm is not releasing the network, how can I fix that?

I cleared all temp folders etc. I would test it now but it never happens when I lock it down and turn it back on, it generally happens when I have it locked down for awhile.

10. comperroruter

Ok, I walked away from the computer for a little bit and turned on the lock. When I came back I right clicked on the ZA icon and the menu popped up. My computer did the bink bonk sound (not sure how else to describe that). I moved away from the menu and it would not go away until I click the engage internet lock icon. Sounds more and more like ZA has issues. I upgraded to the latest version. Should I uninstall and reinstall the latest version?

11. comperroruter

Alright, clothes are almost dry now. I will check back in when I get to work. Thanks again for the help Insomniac.:)

12. comperroruter

Well, I got irritated and decided to scrap the whole deal and reinstall. I have yet to download the most recent update, but I will do that when I get home. Are there any major pointers I should consider when doing this? I am thinking it is possible that my router was trying to talk to the internet (or "home") and I probably blocked it via one of the ZA pop-up choices. I will take a little more time and actually research what I am not 100% sure about. Other than this, is there anything I should consider(besides kicking myself in the arse for paying for this thing)?:)

13. higherterrain

higherterrain Private E-2

Thought of getting ZoneAlarm tech's invovled with this. Seems to be a bug, but I would help to know what system your running.

14. comperroruter

no offense to ZA techs, but I am sure they sit on a computer and read information off of a screen. I would rather one of the fine minds in this forum help me. At least that way I am almost certain (have not gotten bad advice yet) that the information given to me is beneficial and not just script off of a page.

Thank you for the advice though. If all else fails, that will be my route.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds