Can't Get Duckduckgo Browser Installed

Discussion in 'Software' started by HDL, Mar 17, 2024.

1. HDL

HDL Private First Class

On one of my Windows 11 Pro Machines I cannot get DDG installed. It gives the error you can see in the attachment. I searched for the problem and found an apparent fix for Windows 10 and was going to try it for my Win 11 machine. It said to install App Installer package from the Microsoft store. I followed the link https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9nblg ... n-us&gl=US and clicked on Install. It took me to the MS Store, I believe, but from there I didn't see anything to click to install it. I tested the DDG installer again in case the App Installer Package happened to install and I didn't know it, but got the same error.

DDG.jpg

Here is what I found so far and need advise because it is beyond me.

This is a part of a post that I found when searching on the error I get when trying to install DDG:
    "I had some of the same problems, myself. I'm not exactly sure what I did to solve them, but here's the current state of my installation:
    1. The program's executable file is in this directory: "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application"
    2. That directory has two executable files. One is "chrome.exe." When I click on this, I get the Google Chrome browser. The other is "chrome_proxy.exe." When I click on this, I get the DuckDuckGo Browser for Windows.
    I suspect ... I think ... that the "install" process put that "proxy" file in place. And, then, my efforts to execute that file either sent me to the Google Chrome browser ... or back to the "install" page for the DDG browser, which invites you to download the browser (and does nothing else of any use)."

Here is what I found when looking at the machine that DDG works on versus the one where I cannot get DDG installed. On the machine where DDG works, if I follow the path listed above I find the "chrome_proxy.exe." However, when double clicking it, it opens Chrome, not DDG.

The bolded print above is a quote from a site I found on the WEB, this is back to me posting my question. On the machine where I cannot get DDG installed, in following the above path, you have to change the "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application" to "C:\Program Files(86)\Google\Chrome\Application" to find "chrome_proxy.exe." Double clicking it also opens another instance of Google Chrome. I don't know why one Google Chrome is 32 Bit and the other, where DDG works is 64 Bit. But could that be a problem and if I tried to reinstall Chrome would there be an option to install the 64 Bit version?

This is where I have been downloading the installation for DDG: https://duckduckgo.com/app

Any ideas on how I can get the DDG browser installed?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Look here:
    Windows Settings > Apps > Advanced App Settings > Choose Where to get apps > Anywhere.
    If anywhere is not selected, you might be unable to install apps not downloaded from the Microsoft store.

Note: I don't run Windows 10 nor 11 so I can't test this for you.

3. HDL

HDL Private First Class

Thank you but Anywhere is selected.

4. AllanH

AllanH Private E-2

5. HDL

HDL Private First Class

Thank you for that link. I'm not sure it applies to me since I am not getting either error message it talks about. I'm concerned I may mess things up since I don't have either error message. I'll attach the error message I get again here. Thank you so much for the suggestion. DDG.jpg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds